• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

breathing problems & stasis again U/D 20/12/12

willowflower27

Mama Doe
My boy bun who I rescued in Feb this year has had pneumonia which lead to a consolidated lung lobe right side, then another chest infection due to choking on a SS Pellet which lead to a walled of abcess in his left lung so his chest is compromise. I have been using a saline nebulizer to help keep his chest clear but I came home tonight and he's very rattley in his chest & no poop so straight to vet, he's been kept on on oxygen and supportive care but vet isn't hopeful as this will likely cause more damage to his lungs.
How do people cope with chesty buns? How will I know if his chest is to compromised to continue?

He will be getting x-rays tomorrow conscious but its difficult to know what to do?

Last edited:
I think you need to be guided by your Vet as each case will be unique. Aggressive antibiotic therapy might bring about some improvement,along with a diuretic if there is a lot of fluid build up. In some cases a bronchodilator might help. But if the lung abscessation is excessive with lots of scaring too then in all honesty the outlook is very grave and quality of life would need to be considered :cry:

I hope that the Xray brings more optimistic news than you are expecting. Please keep us updated

Chest x-ray today shows no more damage at present but vet says that may change as we have caught the infection early,he is responding to gut stimulants and the frusemide is back on depocillin injections although he is improving more lung scarring will be likely. This horrible condition is likely going to be the thing that gets my baby because he gets worse the more we medicate/handle as he cant handle the stress. Staying overnight at vets again with view to getting him home tomorrow for some TLC

I have him home on loads of meds metocloprimide, cisapride, metacam, depocillin and fiberplex. He's not eating on his own but is eating newspaper/cardboard so I'm syringe feeding and have removed everything but hay no poo passed today and he is collapsing when he over exerts himself so I have him confined to the dog crate its a long process and he isn't out of the woods yet. I'm also nebulising him. His recovery will very much depend on him. It's best for him to be at home as he doesn't handle strangers poking and prodding him he's very much a mummy's boy when he's sick. The fact I can syringe feed him is concerning as I usually struggle to put anything in his mouth as he's very head shy but here's hoping he can pull through for me again he's only a baby he's just 18 months :cry:

Back