• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Urgent!! questran and biolapis together?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Parsley reacted to his new abx (on day 5 - the last day) and this morning had diarrhoea - we gave questran and took him to vet.

They said just use questran.

However now he is not pooing and looks uncomfortable and is doing 'the dreaded stomach stretch'

can you give biolapis or any other gut drug with questran? (surely questran would cancel it out anyway as it would absorb it).

Vets now closed and emergency vet cr** and Steve (Parsleys real person) away for two days - why does it happen on MY watch?????

PS He has now just pood a load of not well formed poos . . . but has started to eat . . . dont know what to do . . . (emergency vets really would be worse than useless . . . ) they wouldnt even know what questran was (or the abx he has been on)

Last edited:
I have used both at the same time. Is he having SQ fluids ? That would be pretty essential in an antibiotic induced enteritis.

Poor Parsley :cry:

Have just discovered your thread on treatments for this!!! (THANK YOU!!)

Parsley is actually now tucking into a huge pile of grass and mint and geranium leaves and apple sticks and carrot tops (all from allotment so all very natural and no chemicals etc) and picking out stuff for himself. I gave questran and now have some biolapis ready for when he pauses from munching.

I gave metacam orally (an hour after the questran) as I dont have any injectible here (and had not read your post by then).

I can give subcut fluids as well so again will do that when he pauses in his munching. I dont want to interrupt him.

When you treated for this was the patient eating still?

SO GLAD you are online!!!!! I feel so alone.

Have just discovered your thread on treatments for this!!! (THANK YOU!!)

Parsley is actually now tucking into a huge pile of grass and mint and geranium leaves and apple sticks and carrot tops (all from allotment so all very natural and no chemicals etc) and picking out stuff for himself. I gave questran and now have some biolapis ready for when he pauses from munching.

I gave metacam orally (an hour after the questran) as I dont have any injectible here (and had not read your post by then).

I can give subcut fluids as well so again will do that when he pauses in his munching. I dont want to interrupt him.

When you treated for this was the patient eating still?

SO GLAD you are online!!!!! I feel so alone.

Not for the first 24-36 hours. She was literally at deaths door. Every time she tried to sit up she passed a load of awful diarrhoea :cry:

Not for the first 24-36 hours. She was literally at deaths door. Every time she tried to sit up she passed a load of awful diarrhoea :cry:

Must have been awful . . .

Parsley had his last abx injection at 2am this morning - this one is meant to have a half life of 8 hours - but I am not sure how long it will hang around and kill off the good stuff in his tummy - or how long till we know the worst of the clostridium. He had questran this morning and this evening . .

I can send a picture of the poo he is doing but not sure it would help. .

they are slightly formed poos within the splodge, so not absolute cow pats,

Must have been awful . . .

Parsley had his last abx injection at 2am this morning - this one is meant to have a half life of 8 hours - but I am not sure how long it will hang around and kill off the good stuff in his tummy - or how long till we know the worst of the clostridium. He had questran this morning and this evening . .

I can send a picture of the poo he is doing but not sure it would help. .

they are slightly formed poos within the splodge, so not absolute cow pats,

It'll just be a case of keeping up with the treatment overnight, especially the fluids

Is it Parsley who reacted badly to Metronidazole ? If not that would be something the Vet may want to consider as it is active against clostridium

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

It'll just be a case of keeping up with the treatment overnight, especially the fluids

Is it Parsley who reacted badly to Metronidazole ? If not that would be something the Vet may want to consider as it is active against clostridium

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

mmm i think he was ok with that after the initial tummy ache . . . I am starting to loose track to be honest - he has had every drug there is. he finds rifampicin a struggle but thats because of the sheer quantity involved - there is ony SO much sweet pink stuff you can take at one time . . . !

Last edited:
God can't beleive I missed this thread, no useful advice but Jane seems to have covered it all.
Sending a ton of vibes xxxx

parsnipbun;5675664 However now he is not pooing and looks uncomfortable and is doing 'the dreaded stomach stretch' [/QUOTE said:
I have to ask, but what is the "dreaded stomach stretch"?

Back