• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Average healthy weight for 8 month old German lop?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I think it's me being paranoid but I think I can feel Pippin's back bone more than usual. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any idea of an average healthy weight for her?

Is she a German lop? We think Leo is a German lop, he's 2.9kg but fairly skinny. Not unhealthy though:)

I'm 70% sure she's a German lop. When I got her it couldn't be guaranteed. That's worrying as the vet said she's 1.8somethingkg :(

I'm 70% sure she's a German lop. When I got her it couldn't be guaranteed. That's worrying as the vet said she's 1.8somethingkg :(

Leo's a 'big' rabbit, he's 6 now. Eats hay like a horse and his pellets are wolfed down. Unless she starts losing weight drastically I don't think there's anything to worry about! :) Leo went down from 3.1kg in the past year, but he was overweight when we got him. I don't actually know what weight he should be but it just stays around 2.7 - 2.9kg :)

Is it the rabbit in your sig?

She looks very much like the Dwarf lops we have, German lops have big rounded faces (like a fatter version of the mini lop)

Dwarf lops weigh around 2-2.3kg (can be much bigger)

Is it the rabbit in your sig?

She looks very much like the Dwarf lops we have, German lops have big rounded faces (like a fatter version of the mini lop)

Dwarf lops weigh around 2-2.3kg (can be much bigger)

Yes it is. See I thought that but then was told otherwise by other people. Would you mind if you show you a few more photos and see what you think please?

Thank you. Here she is:
tumblr_mf6ht3O8fu1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mcevgmfnTR1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mayzwyDeuD1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m978iuZ5jX1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

I think sometimes she looks like a German lop and sometimes she doesn't :lol:

tbh she looks just like our dwarf lops, my photo bucket isn't working but I will get pics up at some point for you,
We have sables the Grey equivalent of your Pippin, 4 of them, an opal and a magpie, they do vary massively, we have 2 that have the same parents, but a year apart, and one weighs 3kgs the other 2.2kgs and another who weighs 3.4kgs
Molly, who just came back to us with her brother after her adopties MS worsened suddenly, is almost identical to your girl apart from colour

tbh she looks just like our dwarf lops, my photo bucket isn't working but I will get pics up at some point for you,
We have sables the Grey equivalent of your Pippin, 4 of them, an opal and a magpie, they do vary massively, we have 2 that have the same parents, but a year apart, and one weighs 3kgs the other 2.2kgs and another who weighs 3.4kgs
Molly, who just came back to us with her brother after her adopties MS worsened suddenly, is almost identical to your girl apart from colour

They sound gorgeous :love: Shame about Molly and her brother though :(

These images are interesting, I always thought that dwarf lips had flat faces like German lops but were generally smaller.... :oops: I've always thought Harvey was a dwarf lop because of his flattish face, maybe he has some German in him, he's currently 2.35kg, but tends to fluctuate between 2.3 and 2.5, once being at a chubby 2.8! He could be either or both tbh!!!

Back