• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have a chicken coop type thing for their buns?

People do use these for bunnies and they can work well, however they do usually need a bit of adaptation because they are quite open for a hutch and only have a very small enclosed part. I rehomed a bunny to a home where they had a coop as a hutch, but they had used board to make a floor and walls on three sides so it is much more like a hutch. They had also attached a permanent run to it, as on its own it wasn't really big enough.

To be honest, if I was buying a new hutch I would go for an actual hutch/playhouse/shed rather than a coop, because they require a bit less adaptation, but that's because I'm not very good a diy :lol:

thanks for that, I'm not very good at DIY either so will have to think about this somemore I think! The coops looked like a good option as we wanted something that goes longways like this rather than jutting out onto the patio like the usual run/hutch options if you see what I mean......................

Yes, the hutch/run combos can stick out quite a long way. Have you seen this company before: http://www.runaround.co.uk? They sell tunnels and connectors which can be used to connect up a hutch to a run. So you could have a normal 6ft hutch on the patio, and the run further down the garden connected with the tunnel. That way you don't have to have it all in the same place.

I have some of these tunnels, and I have to say they are brilliant. As well as making the set-up more flexible in terms of where things need to be, the bunnies really enjoy going through the tunnels.

Yes, the hutch/run combos can stick out quite a long way. Have you seen this company before: http://www.runaround.co.uk? They sell tunnels and connectors which can be used to connect up a hutch to a run. So you could have a normal 6ft hutch on the patio, and the run further down the garden connected with the tunnel. That way you don't have to have it all in the same place.

I have some of these tunnels, and I have to say they are brilliant. As well as making the set-up more flexible in terms of where things need to be, the bunnies really enjoy going through the tunnels.

yes I had seen those. Other than the patio most/all of our garden is grassed over and DH isn't keen on bunnies having runs onto the grass overnight/when we're not there as there is a rather large fox who likes to come into our garden and he's worried about them trying to dig in lol I will investigate it more though! Thank you for the link (buns not actually living with us yet, and will be keeping them in till April so have quite abit of time!)

yes I had seen those. Other than the patio most/all of our garden is grassed over and DH isn't keen on bunnies having runs onto the grass overnight/when we're not there as there is a rather large fox who likes to come into our garden and he's worried about them trying to dig in lol I will investigate it more though! Thank you for the link (buns not actually living with us yet, and will be keeping them in till April so have quite abit of time!)

Good luck with whatever you decide. And yes, you are absolutely right to think about them on the grass as it is risky with the foxes etc (and also the buns might dig out!). I have a run on the grass, and we put mesh flat on the grass and let it grow through then put the run on top. Some people dig up the turf and put the mesh underneath then re-lay the turf. It depends how much you value your lawn :lol:

It sounds like you have some lucky bunnies anyway :)

Yep, I had one of those. I added a 'hay loft' to the cabin, they love it there when it's stuffed with hay, It gets quite hot in there with 2 rabbits! Enough to steam up the 'glass' window! I do feel it's a bit small tho. I added additional run space and different cabins on the ground level.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And yes, you are absolutely right to think about them on the grass as it is risky with the foxes etc (and also the buns might dig out!). I have a run on the grass, and we put mesh flat on the grass and let it grow through then put the run on top. Some people dig up the turf and put the mesh underneath then re-lay the turf. It depends how much you value your lawn :lol:

It sounds like you have some lucky bunnies anyway :)
ah I hadn't thought about that! I'll think about that abit more!

My bunnies Thank you for your suggestions in advance lol

Yep, I had one of those. I added a 'hay loft' to the cabin, they love it there when it's stuffed with hay, It gets quite hot in there with 2 rabbits! Enough to steam up the 'glass' window! I do feel it's a bit small tho. I added additional run space and different cabins on the ground level.
yes I did think it would benefit from some additions to the ground floor....and I wasn't sure if the house space would be big enough....seems they probably aren't....Hmm I'll keep thinking! (p.s. saw your photobucket link - your buns are gorgeous!)

IMO the indoor space doesn't offer enough for them, you would have to extend with a run perhaps, especially if it was one of the smaller ones. The might look big but if you get your tape measure out its not minimum for rabbit/s :)

These a nice for the bunnys :)

4f2f584e6bfe86c22c008d3fcc19913a.jpg

We have a chicken coop, very similar to this...

http://www.chickencoopsandhouses.co.uk/cc3000XWR.html

and yes weve had a fox had a go (just last night actually) but we have ours on wood decking panels. We usually let them have free reign of our garden when we are around to watch them and we also modified it to fill in the extra back an sides for weather protection.

That being said, we are buying a new hutch next year as the good lady in my life has decided she wants a prettier one for the end of the garden... :D

Back