• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are all female rabbits aggressive?

Conejitos

Young Bun
I want to know if al female rabbit are aggressive if they are not spayed.. I have two female rabbits one I have had for 7 months not got her when she was 3 months now she's 10 months and another I recently got she's about 6-7monts old my older rabbit had babies on November 2 but before that she got so aggressive and still is.. But the other female bun is so calm and different compared to my older one.. Why is my older one do aggressive and the other one isn't?

All rabbits are different! But it also depends what you mean by aggressive? Is it when you're feeding, cleaning out or do you find your rabbit aggressive when you try to pick her up?

Depends what type of aggression, and depends on the bunny! But no, not all will show signs of aggression.

It is best to get female rabbits spayed, partly to prevent aggression/territorial behavior, but also to prevent them getting uterine cancer, as they have an 85% chance of getting it by the age of 5 if not spayed.

Female aggression is almost always linked with hormones, so I'd recommend getting your aggressive bunny spayed, which should help. Hormones kicks in at different times for different rabbits so it may be the younger bun is not hormonal yet or just she's less hormones generally or a different personality. I wouldn't recommend breeding from an aggressive rabbits as it can also be a genetic trait!

All rabbits are different! But it also depends what you mean by aggressive? Is it when you're feeding, cleaning out or do you find your rabbit aggressive when you try to pick her up?
Ever time I try to pick her up she doesn't like it and when i hold her she try's to jump off when she runn around she comes to me and licks me but when I try to pet her she run away or makes this noise telling me to back off... My other rabbit is the complete opposite se let's me pick her up is very sweet doesnt make and growl noises or anything... My older rabbit had a litter of 5 bunnies I'm planning to stay with the smallest one which is a female but I'm scared she might turn out aggressive like her mom did..

None of my buns really like being picked up and all (apart from lucky and daisy) will try to get away! :) buns don't always like being picked up...they are prey animals ;)

None of my females are what I would call aggressive (I have 6 girls).

Ever time I try to pick her up she doesn't like it and when i hold her she try's to jump off when she runn around she comes to me and licks me but when I try to pet her she run away or makes this noise telling me to back off... My other rabbit is the complete opposite se let's me pick her up is very sweet doesnt make and growl noises or anything... My older rabbit had a litter of 5 bunnies I'm planning to stay with the smallest one which is a female but I'm scared she might turn out aggressive like her mom did..

That doesn't sound like aggression, that sounds like fear. It sounds like she is scared of you because you are picking her up, hence why she also runs off or grunts when you try and stroke her, as she thinks you are about to pick her up.

Rabbits are prey animals and very few like being picked up, and those that allow it normally just tolerate it. As prey animals, the only thing that would pick them up is a predator - they would only ever be picked up when about to be killed, and so it is a survival instinct that makes them dislike it.

When I got my bunny, I found this article on handling really useful: http://flashsplace.webs.com/handling.htm

I have all but one unspayed females and not one of them is aggressive. I used to have one in the past that was very aggressive, she even went after my puppy a few times.

I have an unspayed female who is lovely :) She gets a little hormonal occasionally but has NEVER shown any aggression towards anyone. Each bunny is different!

Depends what type of aggression, and depends on the bunny! But no, not all will show signs of aggression.

It is best to get female rabbits spayed, partly to prevent aggression/territorial behavior, but also to prevent them getting uterine cancer, as they have an 85% chance of getting it by the age of 5 if not spayed.

As above.
I would definitely get any female rabbit spayed. (.... and, of course, I would get any buck neutered).

every time i see the thread title i want to reply 'no, just me.' i don't know why. i'm not even a rabbit.

anyway

tabby rabbit was extremely aggressive, to the point where i considered having her pts! its hard to imagine now but she was one dangerous bunny. i certainly couldn't have passed her on to someone else. i have scars from her bites. and was she fast! she would come out of nowhere, so fast you wouldn't know anything about it till the jaws clamped and held! i was so glad she was only a minilop, not a french lop or a continental giant. i would never have a big rabbit because the risk from harmful bites is too great.

having the spay helped her with her hormones. also, she was so ill, we became very close during her recuperation and haven't looked back since.

I wouldn't say they are aggressive, but in my experience, female bunnies are definitely grumpier when not spayed! Jura was equally grumpy after being spayed, but Islay and Ailsa are definitely soppier spayed.

Like the previous posters, most aggression is due to hormones. Having said that I have a neutered buck who can be pretty aggressive. He is very dominant and won't think twice about nipping or scratching and lunging at you. It's just the way he is and he is easily offended. My doe is spayed but when I first got her she would charge and bite...it took me some time to realise that this was out of fear because she has very poor eyesight.

If your bun does not like being picked up then don't pick her up. MY doe hates being picked up and will struggle and bite and then foot flick at me afterwards so I only pick her up when I really need to. If I were you I would sit on the floor with her and offer treats and nose rubs, never go to grab her and she will slowly gain your trust :) Your bun doesn't sound aggressive tbh but I would still recommend you get her spayed.

Lola was horrible.. always charging etc. A nightmare to clean out and feed.. Spayed - 3 weeks later I had a different rabbit! She is still a madam, when I'm cleaning them out or feeding them she will charge around head butting me to hurry up but she's only bitten me once since her spay and that was my fault. She was recovering from a vet trip and I was sweeping in between her and Donny and she took a chunk out of my hand. It didn't hurt but she was scared. My fault completely!

Spaying (and neutering the boys!) has solved my 'aggression' issues :)

Alright thank you so much guys this really helped hopefully my younger rabbit will not get aggressive or anything like that

Alright thank you so much guys this really helped hopefully my younger rabbit will not get aggressive or anything like that

I'd still advise you to get her spayed, because uterine cancer is always fatal if the rabbit is not spayed. Sometimes an emergency spay can be performed once they have cancer, but quite often by time they are showing symptoms it has spread and even that can't save them, so best to get them spayed before they get it, whilst they are young. Preventative spaying, if done soon enough, removes the risk of uterine cancer.

Sound advice here. One of my first buns was a rescue. I had to decide whether to have her spayed but, at age 5, I opted against it. In fact, aged 10, she suffered from uterine cancer. An emergency op gave her another 4 months but it was truly awful to watch. Perhaps I made the wrong decision but I thought at age 5 she was getting on in years to put her through it. Who knows, if I had, she may have made 11. :(

No! :lol: my little girl is 10 months old, spayed and the most gorgeous bunny. She's so very friendly and loves cuddles! She has bitten me once and that's because my hand was in the way of getting dinner!,

Harley was a little thumper before we had her spayed and now that's stopped but she is still a fiesty little thing. Went for me the other night when I was trying to stop her being aggressive to the new bunny but that was my fault for getting my hand in the way.

Our new girl is showing a little bit of naughtiness so will need to get her spayed asap.

But like all animals - some are more agressive than others and there is usually a good reason behind the agressivness as well....ie. humans doing something that they don't like ;)

Back