• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit constantly grooming,shaking ears and flipping back legs...

jane28

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Just looking for some ideas as the vets are stumped...

Bandit ( 8 year old female, spayed rabbit) started going off her food and drooling about friday last week. Took her to the vets on monday (she was still eating a little, drinking and running around at the weekend) as i thought tooth issue. Vet had a look in her mouth and couldnt see anything (and she looked for ages). ALso she hadnt gone off her hard pellets which tend to be the first to go with teeth.

Due to her age we dont want to put her under GA uneccessarily.

Got some antibiotics, recovery and Lapsil did that for 4 days and the drooling stopped and her fur round her chin became dry again apart from under her legs so she went back to vets and got some topical skin parasitic drops on her back.

Got more Baytril and have been mising her Excel with warm water since then. Shes been on antibiotics since then 1ml a day and is still eating her pellets (dry now) but has seemed to have gone off her veg practically altogether.

She still seems lethargic (no idea if because its very cold in the kitchen and shes conserving energy) but i've noticed she is still grooming a hell of a lot and when running is flipping her back feet a lot and going for her ears more than normal which would suggest some sort of skin irritation but apart from the parasite treatment i cant think of anything else... Smokey, her sister, is perfectly fine in every way.

I thought she was getting bored so have put more tunnels and toys, nibbly bits in the pen and she seems to make effort with the nibbly bits but then turns her head away after a few trys although she'll eat carrot (?).

I have no idea whether she actually has a medical problem or she's just coming to the end and going a bit doolally... The vet is stumped and its not like shes gone off her food completely, she being selective and we've treated for a skin issue... She isnt herself but has her moments...

I dont think she did look in her ears because the initial issue wasnt deemed to be skin related but once ive finished the course of antibiotics and let the parasitic drops do their job ill get her to have a look. I was considering getting an xray done as well to rule out tumour...

Its weird because the antibiotics have cleared up the drooling (which makes me think she had a tooth/throat/stomach infection) but now this other stuff has started which makes me think it might be to do with the actual parasitic drops on her fur? The vet did say it was quite strong stuff... Which could also contribute to her still not feeling 100%...

Shes an old bun and i've got to be careful about putting her under too much medication/GA...

Edited to say Yep she's a mini lop...

Back