• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying/ neutering in winter

Rach210

Alpha Buck
Is it ok for rabbits to be spayed or neutered in winter, I mean is it safe or them to go from the garden to the warm vets and then back out into the garden? I as hoping to get Muffin done after christmas.

To be honest, I wouldnt. the only reason I say that is that it's not advised to put rabbits outside, then bring them in, then out again. Especially after the stress of the op, I'd be worried it'd be a bit much and they'd be unable to cope as well, risking them becoming ill. :wave:

I'd like to get them bonded ASAP but I don't want to risk their health. Maybe I'll wait a few months if it'd be dangerous.

I think that is a sensible reply but if bunny is healthy and it isn't really freezing he should be ok. The vet may advise to keep him in overnight then put him out the next day and as long as he has lots of bedding (not shavings) he should be ok. Lots of rabbits must have ops in the winter time and I have never heard anything to suggest they shouldn't.

I got my girls spayed in December when they were young. Thankfully, it was mild at the time, so they stayed inside for a week and could go outside again. If the weather is freezing, I wouldn't do it.

I've neutered buns in the winter before, I'm sure rescues must do it all the time too. I bring them indoors but put them in a room without heating, so they are not outside in the cold but are not getting too warm either. They can't properly regulate their body temperature after an anaesthetic so need to be indoors for the first 24 hours or so.

I will then just see how they are and when they seem to be fully bounced back (often 1-2 days for boys, can be a little longer for girls) I put them back outside on a mild day, in the morning, so they have all day to reacclimatise before the temperature drops off overnight, and then provide them with a snuggle safe for the first few nights. As long as they're indoors in a coolish room and only temporarily, they won't lose their winter coat in a few days, it's just a case of making the transition back outdoors as smooth as possible.

Back