• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update with pic (p17) - Worry worry worry - seedpod in his ear

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
I'm so worried about Orinoco tonight. He has stasis, is eating a little but we can't get his meds into him. I've rung the emergency vet (who we spoke to at the surgery this morning so he already knew what was wrong with him) who said the shot of metaclop will see him through til the morning so we can leave him tonight (he's had a little but nowhere near the 2 mls he should have had) and then we'll have to pin him down tomorrow morning to give him metaclop, metacam and baytril :( I can see us ending up back at the vets for shots.

Last edited:
Oh no. Adelaide was pretty good when I had to give her the meds. Did not like it when I tried to syringe feed her the Oxbow food supplement though.
Sending huge mega-vibes and hugs for you and Orinoco. Come on big boy, show mummy the poops!

He's pooped! Small but they're there and don't look like Scarlets. I think the underlying issue is his left ear. It seems to be bothering him. The OOH vet says keep up the baytril and metacam.

He's still not great and have struggled to get his metaclop down him. Baytril on parsley - ok, metacam on a fenugreek crunchie - ok, metaclop on just about anything - no way. Tried to syringe it and got bitten (not like Ori at all). Had to resort to grated carrot which isn't ideal as it's sugary but he's eaten it. He's had a little much of hay, a few herbs and a few pellets. There is definitely a problem with his ear, he keeps shaking his head and scratching at it so I'm convinced that's the underlying cause. We're back at the vets tomorrow morning.

Hope you can maage to keep him eating and medicated until tomorrow. I wonder what is the matter with his ear, poor Orinoco. xx

Glad he's eaten something. Hope Nigel is on tomorrow and can sort his ear out xx

Nigel is on holiday all week :( and Karen who's my second choice isn't in either. We saw Rhiannon yesterday and are seeing her again tomorrow, she seemed clued up, we were in there for about half an hour and she spoke to Bill in case we needed him over the weekend.

Nigel is on holiday all week :( and Karen who's my second choice isn't in either. We saw Rhiannon yesterday and are seeing her again tomorrow, she seemed clued up, we were in there for about half an hour and she spoke to Bill in case we needed him over the weekend.

Oh of course he is. That's so annoying. :( He shouldn't be allowed holidays! :lol: Hope one of the other vets can help xx

Oh of course he is. That's so annoying. :( He shouldn't be allowed holidays! :lol: Hope one of the other vets can help xx

Our lot always have an issue when he's not in, I've told him before it's totally unaaceptable for him not to be there when I need him ;) Rhiannon seemed nice but she didn't check his ears and I was so stressed with his refusal at food I didn't realise til he started shaking his head that she hadn't checked them. He's still munching the odd bit of hay and herbs and Scarlet is sitting with him.

It was indeed his ear that was bothering him. He had a massive seed pod stuck in it! It's damaged his eardrum so he needs checking between Christmas and New Year but is now just on metacam which is the easiest one to get into him. Poor little chap. He looked quite relieved when the vet pulled it out. Hopefully with it out and pain meds he'll be back to normal in a day or two.

WP_000357.jpg

Oh wow :shock: bless him poor little man no wonder he was not happy that must have been very uncomfortable! Hopefully he should be quickly on the mend now!

Back