• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chronic stasis & omeprazole question

willowflower27

Mama Doe
I collected Dana this morning the d1ck vet still unfortunately unable to give me a definitive diagnosis (they have been fab though) they can however tell me the problem is definitely with her gi tract. There were a few tests they could still do however they are expensive and one is quite invasive so I have opted to medically manage. In the form of metacam andzantac as soon as stasis signs start. How do others here cope with chronic stasis buns? And the omeprazole won't dissolve I shake it til its frothy but there is still solid bits in it? Any one used this and how do you get it to dissolve?

I collected Dana this morning the d1ck vet still unfortunately unable to give me a definitive diagnosis (they have been fab though) they can however tell me the problem is definitely with her gi tract. There were a few tests they could still do however they are expensive and one is quite invasive so I have opted to medically manage. In the form of metacam andzantac as soon as stasis signs start. How do others here cope with chronic stasis buns? And the omeprazole won't dissolve I shake it til its frothy but there is still solid bits in it? Any one used this and how do you get it to dissolve?

Omeprazole and Zantac are different drugs so I am a bit confused :?

Sorry I've to maintain her stasis episodes with metacam & zantac but at the minute incase she has a gi ulcer she has also been dispensed omeprazole once daily to see if this helps with her tummy pain Jo said its an anti ulcer med but it just won't dissolve,

I an trying to manage her symptoms rather than pushing for diagnosis at all costs. Had long chat with the vet school and they have agreed this might be better for her in long run apart from a chronic stasis problem otherwise she is a happy laid back girly.

Sorry I've to maintain her stasis episodes with metacam & zantac but at the minute incase she has a gi ulcer she has also been dispensed omeprazole once daily to see if this helps with her tummy pain Jo said its an anti ulcer med but it just won't dissolve,

I an trying to manage her symptoms rather than pushing for diagnosis at all costs. Had long chat with the vet school and they have agreed this might be better for her in long run apart from a chronic stasis problem otherwise she is a happy laid back girly.

Is it in tablet or capsule form ?

The vet had already dispensed it into a bottle but it seems to be reforming??? There is crystals which I think is the powder at the bottom and water on top like a suspension I've never used this drug before and I'm not sure how its supposed to look she gets 0.2 once daily.

The vet had already dispensed it into a bottle but it seems to be reforming??? There is crystals which I think is the powder at the bottom and water on top like a suspension I've never used this drug before and I'm not sure how its supposed to look she gets 0.2 once daily.

Is it that you cant draw it up into a syringe then ? It doesn't matter if the solution is grainy when administered,

That's perfect Jane I can draw it up fine just wasn't sure of all the particles should be gone if it can be grainy that's great I didn't ask the vet :oops: I was just so glad to get her back

omeprazole

Hi, :wave: have just seen your post. Omeprazole never properly dissolves in tablet/capsule form. Sometimes the trick is to dilute so that grains do not get stuck in the end of the syringe and the dose is then incorrect. Or mash with food. Omeprazole can also be manufactured in liquid form but it might be more expensive to supply. Hope your medicines do the trick for your little bunny anyway. :D

Back