• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ranging with two pairs?

Kit06

Young Bun
I have two pairs of bonded buns (two m/f pairs). They are quite happy living in separate accommodation a distance away from each other (but still within view). I like to free range my buns when I can, but haven't attempted it since I got the second pair of buns a few weeks ago. Today I let a pair out to free range but when they went up to the run of the second pair it set the second pair off chasing/trying to hump each other (this stopped as soon as I put the other pair away). Do I abandon all hope of free ranging or should I try and fence off each of their accommodation so there's a gap between them (how big?). Would it be best to just let them out in the vicinity of their own accommodation? I don't want anyone to fall out but I also like them to have space to charge about (their accommodation is pretty spacious though). Any advice or experience of this would be great thanks!

I would try the first method initially and leave a gap of 2 to 3'. This may solve the problem of Referred Aggression and if not you will have to try the second method. Some males become very aggressive towards their partner so it isn't pleasant for the female.

I have the same situation as you. When I free range both pairs I pen them apart with a puppy pen and then drape a dark sheet/blanket over it so they cant see eachother. I always keep a VERY close eye on it aswell incase one of them decides to jump!

If they can see / hear or smell the other rabbits it will set them off. It's best if you can keep them as far apart as possible.

I have the same situation as you. When I free range both pairs I pen them apart with a puppy pen and then drape a dark sheet/blanket over it so they cant see eachother. I always keep a VERY close eye on it aswell incase one of them decides to jump!

This is the same for me. I use a puppy pen as a temporary fence in the garden with a sheet draped over to keep the indoor rabbits away from the outdoor rabbits' pen when they're free-ranging. it's a hassle!

OK, thanks, will fence them off and cover with a blanket. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem!

I bonded two couples just two weeks ago. They are allowed to run free when I am around, I prefer to lock away one couple at night because the male is way too adventurous. My OH often locks away the other couple, so in the morning I release them. They just never fight, they change partner, change house and don't mind. I noticed however that the youngest doe likes both bucks, but the youngest buck keeps a distance quite often.
But I suppose I'm just lucky with those 4

Back