• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore eye?

purplesponge

Warren Scout
I've just had a cuddle with Simba, and noticed one of his eyes looks a bit red around the edges compared to the other one. I've never had a rabbit before, so am unsure if it's just something normal that clears up, or he should be seen by a vet, I'll wait till monday and monitor it, but im supposed to be going away for the week next week, and don't want to leave him with my partner because ill just be worrying the whole time!!

It's not really really red, it just looks a bit pinky :/

EDIT: could it be anything to do with the fact that he had his vaccines for the first time yesterday?

Last edited:
I've just had a cuddle with Simba, and noticed one of his eyes looks a bit red around the edges compared to the other one. I've never had a rabbit before, so am unsure if it's just something normal that clears up, or he should be seen by a vet, I'll wait till monday and monitor it, but im supposed to be going away for the week next week, and don't want to leave him with my partner because ill just be worrying the whole time!!
I had the same thing happen my Vet said he scratched his eye.

took him to the vets first thing this morning, she couldnt see a scratch, but has given me cream, if i see its worse, or has discharge, to use that :)

After leaving Simba with my partner and returning yesterday, I have noticed his eye has gotten worse, so have commenced using the cream, as the vet suggested. His eye is still red but theres just one small section of the lid that is more red than the rest and slightly swollen. I was just wondering if there were any tips on application, as im not sure im doing it right, and also how long is normal for it to clear up, and how often I should be using it. I googled the make of the cream and most said to apply twice. Thanks again

Back