• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Smudge may have choked

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
He started making this horrible noise after I'd given them pellets, very gruff and then when I checked on him he was hiding under the bed and had lots of discharge from his nose and mouth. I tried to dislodge it and I think it may have worked. But he still wouldn't take food off me.

Am in the car to the vets now. He's stopped making the noise now but I'm not taking any chances.

the discharge is an indicator of aspirating something so you're definatly doing the right thing taking him to the vet. Fingers crossed he's ok xx

the discharge is an indicator of aspirating something so you're definatly doing the right thing taking him to the vet. Fingers crossed he's ok xx

Thanks. He's stopped now and was running merry rings round me when I was trying to get him in the carrier so I think he's ok but the vet nurse on the phone seemed concerned too. If I can I might get them to check Nutmegs chest too cos I think her snuffles may be relapsing.

Thank you too Snow White. Xx

I'd expect them to give procautionary antibiotics and maybe a painkiller, hopefully that'll be all Smudge needs and he'll be absolutely fine! hope Nutmeg is ok too :(

Sending vibes for you and your bunnies (((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))
I hope all goes well at the vets ((((((((hugs)))))))

He started making this horrible noise after I'd given them pellets, very gruff and then when I checked on him he was hiding under the bed and had lots of discharge from his nose and mouth. I tried to dislodge it and I think it may have worked. But he still wouldn't take food off me.

Am in the car to the vets now. He's stopped making the noise now but I'm not taking any chances.

Science Selective Pellets ?

Sending vibes for him and for Nutmeg xx

Science Selective Pellets ?

Sending vibes for him and for Nutmeg xx

Yup. :( I've got a load of fibafirst so might swap them. He's an incredibly excitable eater which probably doesn't help.

He's ok. Didn't see mark but wasn't expecting to. Vet pretty sure he did choke but lungs sounded fine so didn't give abx. Thought he could see some small possible spurs but not enough for a dental. (What is it with my rabbits and spurs? They eat lots of hay!)

Nutmegs chest sounds fine (for her anyway, she's always going to sound slightly iffy due to the scarring). Said she's got quite a bit of saliva in her mouth though?

Yup. :( I've got a load of fibafirst so might swap them. He's an incredibly excitable eater which probably doesn't help.

He's ok. Didn't see mark but wasn't expecting to. Vet pretty sure he did choke but lungs sounded fine so didn't give abx. Thought he could see some small possible spurs but not enough for a dental. (What is it with my rabbits and spurs? They eat lots of hay!)

Nutmegs chest sounds fine (for her anyway, she's always going to sound slightly iffy due to the scarring). Said she's got quite a bit of saliva in her mouth though?

Often a sign of imminent Dental issues

So Science Selective yet again......................

Glad that all appears to be OK but I would be vigilant re any sign of respiratory problems which can take time to become evident after a choke.

Oh poor Smudge :( And poor you, I absolutely dread one of my 4 choking :cry:

Does anyone know whether SS have been informed about all these choking incidents?

Often a sign of imminent Dental issues

So Science Selective yet again......................

Glad that all appears to be OK but I would be vigilant re any sign of respiratory problems which can take time to become evident after a choke.

Yeah he said that too, but no other signs.

Will keep an eye out for respiratory issues. He's looking a bit sorry for himself but he's eaten a crunchy and had some metacam.

Might email SS so they are informed, add to any others who have emailed.

ETA. Oh gosh, i've just realised this is general chat. :oops: how did i get this in here?!

Last edited:
Oh poor Smudge :( And poor you, I absolutely dread one of my 4 choking :cry:

Does anyone know whether SS have been informed about all these choking incidents?

I was shaking :oops: proper full on shaking, thank goodness for the vet nurse on the end of the phone and having read the posts previous. I didn't do the move to free it properly but I think it may have helped.

I was shaking :oops: proper full on shaking, thank goodness for the vet nurse on the end of the phone and having read the posts previous. I didn't do the move to free it properly but I think it may have helped.

*shudders* Well done for keeping your head, I really hope I could do the same in that panicked situation.

Is Smudge eating now?

*shudders* Well done for keeping your head, I really hope I could do the same in that panicked situation.

Is Smudge eating now?

He's had a crunchy and relieved some annoyance on a seagrass ball :lol: Just put some dried dandelion and plantain in the hay to encourage him to have some and he shot over. I've gone out the room because sometimes he's more likely to eat hay if no-one's around.

He's had a crunchy and relieved some annoyance on a seagrass ball :lol: Just put some dried dandelion and plantain in the hay to encourage him to have some and he shot over. I've gone out the room because sometimes he's more likely to eat hay if no-one's around.

It sounds as though he's making a rapid recovery :D:D:D

Loads of vibes xxxxx

Back