• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluff very quiet u/d 17/12 still not right

weedug

Mama Doe
He hasn't been his usual self for a few days, and doing the odd tummy press. He was really slow eating today, so got him checked over at the vet. Everything seemed ok, other than his teeth. One side looked a bit sharp, although there was no damage to his tongue or in his mouth from it.

Vet gave him pain relief and gut stimulant. I am to monitor him, and if things aren't right he is to go for a dental tomorrow. If his tummy appears better, I've to take him on Monday for a possible dental.

He is eating, but it is taking him longer to eat. There is no drooling. I noticed this morning that he was drinking a bit more than usual. The most worrying thing is he still doesn't seem very active.

Does anyone know if this sounds like teeth? I'm getting a bit worried about him, and that he doesn't seem to have picked up from having the gut stimulant and pain killer.

Last edited:
Sounds just like his teeth are bothering him. Everybun reacts differently, I currently have a bun that has sharp spikes on his teeth which are resting on his tongue. He is still active, eating, drinking, racing about and only slightly more grumpy than usual.
My bridge bun, Ellie was a different story. She would act in agony as soon as the tiniest spikes appeared on her teeth and would drinking gallons, loose weight and generally act very poorly.

I would book him in asap but make sure he eats plenty tonight before he goes in. If it is his teeth he will only get worse (although might perk up with pain relief) so really the sooner the better for a dental.

Sending him lots and lots of get well vibes!

I think unless there is a huge difference in him overnight, he will need to go in tomorrow as he is just too quiet.

He has put on a bit of weight, I reckon because he is just lying around so much.

The vet reckoned he would need a dental at some point, even if he got better this time. The pain relief doesn't seem to be helping him any so far.

I just hope that if he gets a dental, that it will help.

I think unless there is a huge difference in him overnight, he will need to go in tomorrow as he is just too quiet.

He has put on a bit of weight, I reckon because he is just lying around so much.

The vet reckoned he would need a dental at some point, even if he got better this time. The pain relief doesn't seem to be helping him any so far.

I just hope that if he gets a dental, that it will help.

I'm sure he will be. Ellie would be perfectly back to normal after a few days of her dental. Is your vet rabbit savvy? Sounds like they are tbh so I'd comfortable letting him go under if they are happy to do the dental.

Unfortunately Fluff isn't any better today, and if anything is a bit worse :(

He is usually so energetic and bounding around as soon as he knows I'm outside. Now he is just lying in his litter tray, although at least he is sprawled out in it.

He has been grazing on the food I left him during the night, but has hardly touched his breakfast. Fluff is the type of bun who would just keep on eating, if allowed. Probably because he was without food for a number of days when he was younger (before I got him).

Taking him in this morning. I'm really worried in case he has the dental and it doesn't help :(

That's him in now. They are going to put him under and give his teeth a good look at. If they look better than they think they are, they will look for something else.

There are no gut sounds now, and with a brief exam the vet couldn't feel any blockage.

Does this still sound like teeth? I'm really worried for my wee boy :(

Fluff needed a dental :(. He got x-rays done, that showed a problem with his back teeth. They will go over the x-rays with me when I collect him.

When I phoned, he still hadn't woken up :(. I thought they were brought round quickly.

Each rabbit is individual and the recovery time depends on many things like,anaesthetic used,how well bun is etc your vet sounds very savvy so I'm sure he will be up and about soon x

Well, he's home!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Much brighter than I thought he would be! Maybe even a bit brighter than before he went in.

Not interested in eating just yet. But he is only just home, and I have him inside for now, since he had a ga.

X-rays showed roots were fine, and tummy didn't show any obvious blockage. A couple of his back teeth had little spurs, but there was no damage to the tongue or cheeks. They have been burred.

If he isn't eating on his own by tomorrow morning, he has to go back in, otherwise he is to go in next week for a weighing.

Brilliant news! I hope it was just his teeth, like I said before some buns are very sensitive about them.

Has he had painkillers? Try offering him some soaked pellets to get him to eat, worked with Fiver when he had a nasty recovery.

Keep us updated. x

Fluff has been doing quite well with his eating, better than he was before.

Still not eating his bunny food, but he is managing to eat fenugreek crunchies ok, and is having some plants from the garden.

Hopefully he will keep eating well tomorrow.

He hasn't been so bright for some time. Even though he is inside, which he hates, he is much brighter than earlier today.

Seems to be doing well so far :D

He scoffed everything I left in his cage for him overnight and was much more active when I came down this morning, so it was straight outside for him (he hates inside).

He's eaten just over half his breakfast, some plants from the garden and some hay this morning before he had his gut stimulant, and seems quite happy out in the run just now.

I hadn't realised how quite he had become, until I see him now :oops:

It's always the case, they tend to get gradually quieter and more ill so that you don't notice how bad they were until they are better.

I hope this will be the last dental he will need. Really pleased to hear how well he is doing :)

Fluff was really quiet again this afternoon :(. He wasn't eating for a while, and seemed to be just sitting around.

I gave him his dose of gut stimulant and metacam, and after a while he picked up again, and has eaten everything he was given.

Does this sound ok for after a dental, or should I be worrying?

My rabbits usually have a quiet afternoon, could it be you're just thinking something is wrong when everything is fine?

Back