• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beatrix has bacterial infection- Vet update 14/12/12 - 17.50pm

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have experience/knowledge of treating bunnies with cystitis? I'm worried about Beatrix. :(She is sat on heatpad and I've gave her more metacam 20mins ago. She nibbled a little dinner of parsley and coriander butnot as much as usual. I called the vet but they said as I gave her metacam to wait a few hours and if still worried then call them again. Anybody have any advice for my baby??

Sorry for posting this in rabbit chat but no one has replied in health :(

Last edited:
I know cranberry juice can help people so maybe some dilute juice in her water? Don't know what else to suggest but hope she's ok.

I know cranberry juice can help people so maybe some dilute juice in her water? Don't know what else to suggest but hope she's ok.

I tried her with some dried cranberries but she wouldn't touch them but did like pumpkin seeds which I read are supposed to help too. I have some cranberry juice for her but she hasn't drunk it. :(

What is her urine output like ?

Is she on antibiotics ?

Its brown wee. Was red on Tuesday (blood). Vet put her on metacam for the week, 0.6 once a day. I've given it twice today. The vet didn't prescribe any antibiotic :( I asked but he said she doesn't need it yet and that metacam will stop the inflammation and pain. :(

Its brown wee. Was red on Tuesday (blood). Vet put her on metacam for the week, 0.6 once a day. I've given it twice today. The vet didn't prescribe any antibiotic :( I asked but he said she doesn't need it yet and that metacam will stop the inflammation and pain. :(

Did he send a wee sample off for analysis ? How did he know that the inflammation and pain was not the result of an infection ?

Did he send a wee sample off for analysis ? How did he know that the inflammation and pain was not the result of an infection ?

No he didn't do any of that :( He thought this was caused by stress. She had stasis a couple of weeks ago then Darcy was sick with snuffles last week and she loves him so much. :(

Is she not on any antibiotics??

My Inca has had urine / bladder issues recently and is on a long course of antibiotics.

She had a urine sample taken and a culture of the bacteria was done.

Personally I would want a Urine sample tested as in my experience bacterial infection is usually involved in cases of cystitis.

Is she straining to wee ?

Personally I would want a Urine sample tested as in my experience bacterial infection is usually involved in cases of cystitis.

Is she straining to wee ?

Yes she is straining. :( She is finally now eating more parsley. She eat some leafy bits off celery too and a bit of hay. Maybe the metacam took longer to kick in. I'm worried that shes not on antibiotic now :(

I noticed her wee and her back end which is clean, smells a bit lately :(

Is she not on any antibiotics??

My Inca has had urine / bladder issues recently and is on a long course of antibiotics.

She had a urine sample taken and a culture of the bacteria was done.

No he didn't put on her on any, said she didn't need it yet and that metacam should fix it with the anti-inflam. :( I'm worried now that shes not on any antibiotics. :( She has just eaten more which I'm so relieved about so hopefully metacam has finally kicked in. Poor baby.

Yes she is straining. :( She is finally now eating more parsley. She eat some leafy bits off celery too and a bit of hay. Maybe the metacam took longer to kick in. I'm worried that shes not on antibiotic now :(

I noticed her wee and her back end which is clean, smells a bit lately :(

Sure sign of bacterial infection

I'd get her back to the Vet in the morning as just treating the pain and not the infection is not going to help in the longterm.

Sure sign of bacterial infection

I'd get her back to the Vet in the morning as just treating the pain and not the infection is not going to help in the longterm.

Thanks so much Jane. I've been worried about her not being on an antibiotic and did question it. x

Tibbsy has had a urinary tract infection - we treated it successfully in a week with Baytril and Metacam.
I'd head back to the vet and ask for some antibiotics.

Beatrix is having an X-ray to see what's happening. Vet thinks possible stone. She also has tiny spur so that will be filed while she is under ga. :( She has lost half a kg since Tuesday :( please send vibes for my baby x

Hope she's OK and you get the antibiotics. I would have thought most vets would give you antibiotics for that instead of waiting to see. I've had it myself quite a bit and it is so painful, once they kick in she will be feeling a lot better.

Hope she's OK and you get the antibiotics. I would have thought most vets would give you antibiotics for that instead of waiting to see. I've had it myself quite a bit and it is so painful, once they kick in she will be feeling a lot better.

I'm so upset and annoyed that he didn't there and then. I did quetsion him at the time as I've had it too and its agony. But he insisted that she only needed metacam as pain relief and anti-inflammatory. :cry: I just pray my baby is going to be okay. It broke my heart leaving her there when she looked so scared. :cry:

Please keep sending the vibes. I have to wait till 5pm to find out how she is xx:(

Back