• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping a lone bunny entertained

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Peter is 7 months old and currently lives on his own outside. It's not ideal, I know, poor timing really, I got him in September, got on pretty quickly with getting him neutered etc with the hope that by early december I would be able to get him a friend. Its not happened, I couldn't work out how I could safely bond them over the winter months - I've been talking to someone on here but she bonds indoors and as Peter and his friend will be outdoor buns I need to wait till the spring - and also I can't have the buns inside as I'm asthmatic and can't take the risk if the hay was to bother me (its doesnt seem to outside, makes my nose itch but only temporarily).

So I've got to make the most of what I've got until the spring comes and I can get Pete a playmate. He just looks bored :(, He's fine in the run, however like this morning it was incredibly cold out (and his run is on patio) so I decided to keep him shut in his hutch (6ftx2x2) with his snugglesafes until the temp raied abit.

I'm in and out the house regularly, checking on him, giving him some fuss, refilling hay etc and he loves the attention, but obviously I can't be outside all the time. I just feel so bad for him, he just sits there, looking out. I know Buns are generally quieter during the day but as soon as I go out or I let him into his run he seems to come to life.

In his hutch he has... a litter tray, 2 snugglesafes, a underbed storage filled with straw, cardboard tunnel, carrier filled with straw and a hay rack. I've offered him willow sticks and he isn't interested (unless I hold the other end and he plays tug of war!), I've bought him chew things but he just ignores them.

I feel so bad for him :cry: I really wish I'd got him earlier in the year then I would have had chance to get him a buddy

When mine were on their own (when it was snowing and bleedin' cold!) they had runs on the patio (freezing!) and they would still sit outside :roll: they were fine though :) I think them running around (Donny usually had the slinky in his mouth) kept them entertained :)

You could put some carpet squares or foam/rubber mats on the run floor?

Rabbits tend to conserve their energy to stay warm which is why he might not be as active :) Lola sits in the shed whereas Donny will sit outside in the corner of the run, they are both warm to touch though (under their fur) :)

I have a similar problem with Bungee. She and Bramble now live seperately and she is outside on her own. She has a huge hutch and run to herself, and I go out to see her as often as I can. She is cleaned out daily and so comes out for a hop around the garden when I am out there too.

I hate her being out there on her own. She has plenty of toys and hay to keep her occupied and a little cuddly bunny too, but it does make me sad.

My OH thinks she is perfectly happy, and she certainly shows no signs of being unhappy....but I am seriously thinking about getting her another friend.

Bramble has had to come and live indoors as he has breathing difficulties. i would love to bring Bungee in too, but she would simply be too much for Bram, as she is very bouncy!

It's hard being a bunny mummy somethings isn't it? :cry:

When mine were on their own (when it was snowing and bleedin' cold!) they had runs on the patio (freezing!) and they would still sit outside :roll: they were fine though :) I think them running around (Donny usually had the slinky in his mouth) kept them entertained :)

You could put some carpet squares or foam/rubber mats on the run floor?

Rabbits tend to conserve their energy to stay warm which is why he might not be as active :) Lola sits in the shed whereas Donny will sit outside in the corner of the run, they are both warm to touch though (under their fur) :)

Thanks Aly&Poppy,

I have got some of those door mat carpet square things which I always lay down in the run, somewhere for him to sit thats warmer than cold slabs! I also warm his sungglesafes so he has those to sit on. I know I'm fretting unnecessarily, I just feel I can't win, I keep him in the hutch to avoid him freezing yet he then looks miserable!

I'm such a worrier when it comes to Peter, will be so much happier next year when I can get his friend.

Peter is very lucky to have such a caring owner. :thumb:

I worried about Spenser when he was outside (he moved in last winter) but I think you are doing everything possible for his happiness in the meantime. It's good that you can visit him regularly, as they do like attention. I used to take a travel mug of tesa out with me to the run so that I could stya out in the cold wiht him for a bit longer!

Peter is very lucky to have such a caring owner. :thumb:

I worried about Spenser when he was outside (he moved in last winter) but I think you are doing everything possible for his happiness in the meantime. It's good that you can visit him regularly, as they do like attention. I used to take a travel mug of tesa out with me to the run so that I could stya out in the cold wiht him for a bit longer!

Aww thanks Susie bun :oops:

I do go out as much as I can, luckily I'm at home most of the day so I'm able to. My eldest pays him regular visits too when he gets home from school :D He loves attention, as soon as he hears the patio door open he's up on his back feet looking for me, and as I walk round his run he chases after me :love: Everyone says I spoil him, My youngest was in hospital for a night earlier this week so hubby was given specific instructions on what to do with Peter and he said to my parents "if I get anything wrong, and something happens to Peter then it will be divorce"...... Too bloody right :lol:

Aww thanks Susie bun :oops:

I do go out as much as I can, luckily I'm at home most of the day so I'm able to. My eldest pays him regular visits too when he gets home from school :D He loves attention, as soon as he hears the patio door open he's up on his back feet looking for me, and as I walk round his run he chases after me :love: Everyone says I spoil him, My youngest was in hospital for a night earlier this week so hubby was given specific instructions on what to do with Peter and he said to my parents "if I get anything wrong, and something happens to Peter then it will be divorce"...... Too bloody right :lol:

Sounds like you are doing everything for him and you see him more then I see my Leo (twice a day on weekdays) who is also in the same situation (living alone) as he was due to bond with Missy after his castration but we had an accident before and now she is in the shed with her litter so he has to wait a while longer before he can bond and have a wife! :(

Maybe he is just conserving his energy, if he seems content he probably is. I worry so much about Leo :(

You dop realise most rescues would do the bonding for you and if there are any problems would have rescue bunny back asap?

I always bond the bunnies for people hoping to adopt, it might not be somnething that you need to put off, contact our local rescue :wave:

You dop realise most rescues would do the bonding for you and if there are any problems would have rescue bunny back asap?

I always bond the bunnies for people hoping to adopt, it might not be somnething that you need to put off, contact our local rescue :wave:

Hmm My local rescue don't do bonding and I can't find another rescue close enough to me :(

I'm in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

My local rescue is le couer rescue in Basingstoke but they don't bond, I've just been looking on the blue cross website, at the southampton branch, but can't find anything about bonding on there.

Back