• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could this tube heater be the answer to outside bunny accommodation ?

I was looking for low energy heaters and came across tubular heating. Recommended for outhouses, sheds, greenhouses, kennels, aviaries etc.

Only problem is how do you use it outside, because of the cable. I would love to buy one for the bunnies summer house but it would have to go through an open window, I cannot see how else you could do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHITE-HEATE...02CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355398406&sr=8-1

That can affect your house insurance too - as I found out when I got broken into. A lead going through a shut window makes it easier for them to get in.

You could have outdoor plugs fitted

That can affect your house insurance too - as I found out when I got broken into. A lead going through a shut window makes it easier for them to get in.

You could have outdoor plugs fitted

I knew it would be fiddly. I would have to leave the window open a bit, although too small for anyone to crawl through.

I guess that doesn't come cheap. Sorry to sound dumb, but what does outdoor plugs involve ?

Hmm.. Thank you for linking this! We have power in the bigger shed as it has the other fridge and freezer in, also a light so could be shared with the rabbits shed.

Outdoor plugs might be easier though :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_1bi9yjeqdh_b

Thanks for the link. I assume you need and electrician or someone with electric knowledge and a hole drilled through the wall. The shed is literally an inch from the 2nd bedroom wall, why can't anything be easy.

I read the heaters are good for preventing pipe freezing and someone on a review said it helped with their electricial applicances too, as they had them in a shed like you.

Yes, I have those in my bunny sheds. Very cheap to run and keep the inside of the shed at around 1 or 2 degrees above freezing. However, my OH installed electricity outside for them so I don't have to run a cable through a window. You'd also need armoured cable so that bunnies can't chew it and electrocute themselves.

Yes, I have those in my bunny sheds. Very cheap to run and keep the inside of the shed at around 1 or 2 degrees above freezing. However, my OH installed electricity outside for them so I don't have to run a cable through a window. You'd also need armoured cable so that bunnies can't chew it and electrocute themselves.

Wow. Sounds good. I read they are about 1 p an hour to run, so very cheap.

There is a shelf and I would, if I get one and sort out what to do, mount it up high.

OH is so bad at DIY I won't even let him screw in a lightbulb. He really is that bad.

I want one in my shed next winter, Dad has a friend who is willing to install electric in the garden so we can have lights on the deck. I'm hoping that I might be able to get him to sort the shed too :D

I've actually installed my heaters at floor level (well just high enough to get water bowls under them). They have cages around them so the buns can't burn themselves.

As you say your shed is so close to the bedroom wall you could just get a hole drilled through the wall and into the shed, shouldn't be any issues then, just make sure the hole to outside slopes a bit downwards so rain water cant seep in and seal the hole around the wire

I have one of these in Daisy and Digby's kennel, it's the best thing ever :wave: they do sit in the heated part when it's very cold, you can feel the difference when you open the door :D my OH installed sockets outside so we have power to the kennel.

I have one of these in Daisy and Digby's kennel, it's the best thing ever :wave: they do sit in the heated part when it's very cold, you can feel the difference when you open the door :D my OH installed sockets outside so we have power to the kennel.

Have to see what we can do. Have been out for the greedy 2, third meal of the day. Everything has thawed out, they are buzzing around as usual. Would prefer they had something like this.

Thawed out???! It's -7 here!!! :( I need to move.....

It was all iced over for 2 days. It started thawing out this afternoon. Today was the first time I found the water frozen. We are right next to London. I haven't checked the temperature. But I haven't felt so cold for a few years. :(

You are best to mount them low as heat rises so you wouldn't get as much benefit from them at higher height.

Just drill the hole into the shed at the same level as the heater, then get a heater guard to fit over the whole thing.

As for the socket outside, do you have an inside socket on your external wall anywhere? If so then you can drill out at the socket and cable from that point to an outside socket. The actual outside socket has to be weatherproof.

Pity I don't live near ye or I would have done it for ye!

You are best to mount them low as heat rises so you wouldn't get as much benefit from them at higher height.

Just drill the hole into the shed at the same level as the heater, then get a heater guard to fit over the whole thing.

As for the socket outside, do you have an inside socket on your external wall anywhere? If so then you can drill out at the socket and cable from that point to an outside socket. The actual outside socket has to be weatherproof.

Pity I don't live near ye or I would have done it for ye!

This is what we did - drilled a hole through the wall as the inside socket is in the corner. The outdoor socket we bought from Screwfix. This runs into the shed where we have an extension reel mounted high on the wall, as we have the heater, light and foxwatch to plug in.

I've actually installed my heaters at floor level (well just high enough to get water bowls under them). They have cages around them so the buns can't burn themselves.

Strangely I was discussing with my OH just yesterday about needing to move the heater lower down, and I said I'd seen photos someone had posted on here showing how they made the heater "safe" from the bunnies but I couldn't remember who'd posted them - I remember now it was you Mackers! Glad I read this thread! :D

Strangely I was discussing with my OH just yesterday about needing to move the heater lower down, and I said I'd seen photos someone had posted on here showing how they made the heater "safe" from the bunnies but I couldn't remember who'd posted them - I remember now it was you Mackers! Glad I read this thread! :D

Glad to be of service!!

I knew it would be fiddly. I would have to leave the window open a bit, although too small for anyone to crawl through.

I guess that doesn't come cheap. Sorry to sound dumb, but what does outdoor plugs involve ?

I have no idea - we just have them at the stables.

- it's not about having a small gap re the insurance - my window was fully shut, but the lead created enough space for the thieves to get a crow bar in & prise the window open. The window repair guy & the police told me not to mention the lead through the window as made my insurance invalid:oops:

I've been looking at these - we already have electric in the brick shed which is where the bunnies now live. I've been worrying about them - just added the wooden house that was in their aviary and stuffed it with hay and newspaper (which Hollie is loving pulling everywhere!:lol:) and put their other smaller wooden house inside the (always open) 5ft hutch in there stuffed with fleece. :D xx

Then Jack chooses to sleep behind the wheelie-bin on the floor and Hollie sleeps on the Vetbed on the floor. *Sigh* - you can only try!

With temperatures being so low I really would love to add a tube heater though as I worry. xx

Back