• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bond or not?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I wondered what others would do in this situation...

I foster and rehome on behalf of my local RSPCA. The latest fosters are two male youngsters from the same litter. They arrived last week. As they were together, I decided to risk keeping them together to see if they could stay friends until their neuters, and be rehomed as a pair. Sadly this morning I have had to separate them as they were chasing and fur was flying, and one was clearly being bullied by the other.

They are due to be neutered very shortly (I got them vaccinated first, so now have to wait 2 weeks...and then with Christmas...), but I don't know whether to try and re-bond them after their neuters and rehome them as a pair, or now to accept that they are singles, and rehome them with a lady friend (they will probably rehome quicker this way).

What would you do?

Last edited:
Im in a similar situation,i have 2 half sisters that are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 months old that have been living together until 2 weeks ago when the older girl was chasing around and biting the younger, so i got them spayed 2 weeks ago then the younger got gi stasis,thankfully shes fine now,so i was hoping they could just be friends again but no way,the same situation played out so they are seperated now and in hutches in my dining room at the moment,its too cold for them to go out now anyway even if they were bonded,a long bonding process ahead i think, then i can put some heating in my outhouse and they can live there till spring.
Goodluck.

Once boys have fought they usually do so again. I think it would be best to rebond them with females after they are neutered.

As they are rescues for rehoming, I would leave them separate. Hopefully as youngsters they should rehome relatively quickly and there is more chance of a quicker rehome and a stronger bond if they are bonded with a female each. As they are RSPCA fosters, do they have a view? Presumably they are ultimately responsible for deciding?

Thanks all :)

As they are rescues for rehoming, I would leave them separate. Hopefully as youngsters they should rehome relatively quickly and there is more chance of a quicker rehome and a stronger bond if they are bonded with a female each. As they are RSPCA fosters, do they have a view? Presumably they are ultimately responsible for deciding?

It's a tiny branch, so I do all the bunny stuff myself (very, very small scale though!). I think we'll advertise them as singles to be bonded with other bunnies and see how it goes. I think you are right that they will get homes quickly. They are so adorable! Little dutchies :love:

Thanks.

Back