• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is wrong with Smarties face!!! UD 24

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
its like one side of his face has gone!! have felt it and nothing feels loose of broken etc

the side that looks swollen is only a bit swollen more normaly than swollen! the other side has just gone in :/

he is still totally fine in himself racing around eating drinking, dosen't mind me touching it etc

577981_366297853466356_1854608614_n.jpg

67836_366297856799689_1217681659_n.jpg

I have never seen anything like it :?

Last edited:
I would get him to a vet as when it happened with Mischa it was due to an ear infection. He was left with some disfigurement, not that extreme though. Poor Smartie, hope he's ok. Lops seem prone to these things sadly. :(

I would get him to a vet as when it happened with Mischa it was due to an ear infection. He was left with some disfigurement, not that extreme though. Poor Smartie, hope he's ok. Lops seem prone to these things sadly. :(

what treatment did he need? just abx?,

hoping I can get him to the vets today but its unlikely as my mum works wed and thursday nights so is in bed thurs and fri!

what treatment did he need? just abx?,

hoping I can get him to the vets today but its unlikely as my mum works wed and thursday nights so is in bed thurs and fri!

Abx and painkiller, Mischa also had an xray later on to see how the infection was doing. But it may equally be something else. I would take him today if at all possible, if you leave it it's probably going to get worse and more expensive to treat. Infections can turn into abscesses :cry: Could anyone else take you?

Abx and painkiller, Mischa also had an xray later on to see how the infection was doing. But it may equally be something else. I would take him today if at all possible, if you leave it it's probably going to get worse and more expensive to treat. Infections can turn into abscesses :cry: Could anyone else take you?

noo :( she should be able to go this afternoon, after the school run etc there won't be any appt untill then anyway x

Poor Smartie :cry: My first thought was a stroke. I would get him seen by a vet asap. Sending lots of vibes xx

thats what i thought but its not droppy more pulled up if that makes sence

if it was a stroke i would of thought he wouldnt be able to to eat and would dribble when he drinks etc plus he has no leg weakness or anything x

Poor Smartie :(

When Leo had a stroke he was wobbly and preferred lying down, but could still eat and drink fine. I hope you find out what it is :(

Found the video of Leo the day of his stroke -

Poor Smartie :(

When Leo had a stroke he was wobbly and preferred lying down, but could still eat and drink fine. I hope you find out what it is :(

Found the video of Leo the day of his stroke -

Aww bless him!! no smartie is totaly fine apart from the face, it was a nightmare trying to get the 2 pics I got, he was more interested in binkying on the trampolene:lol::roll:

Vets are fully booked today :( I have painkillers from when tils needed them, can I give him a dose for the night?

Vets are fully booked today :( I have painkillers from when tils needed them, can I give him a dose for the night?

You need to INSIST on her being seen urgently. I really cant stress strongly enough how important it is in this type of situation

With regards to analgesia, you need to obtain the consent of a Vet to administer a prescription medication. I would call the Vet back again now

Good luck

Vets should still have emergency appointments if you insist on being seen, when I've needed them before they've given one for a few hours time but said to bring them in earlier if needed. If they won't give you one, take him to the vet anyway and demand that he is seen. If they see him they'll realise it's serious, but I wouldn't leave him even a few more hours without getting him seen with his face being that way.

You need to INSIST on her being seen urgently. I really cant stress strongly enough how important it is in this type of situation

With regards to analgesia, you need to obtain the consent of a Vet to administer a prescription medication. I would call the Vet back again now

Good luck

good news well for me anyway, someone has cancelled an appt cos there animal died :( so smarties going at 4:15 :)

Vet said he dosen't think its an ear infection but cannot rule that out! He does have a lump at the base of his ear but the vet said inside of his ear is fine no swelling or gunk etc

but its more likely to be some sore of face paralysis

he on Marbocyl injections for 4 days and hes had Meloxidyl injection

Last edited:
my bunny was making that face sometimes i noticed but it wasnt staying that way, she wound up having a little redness in her ears. shes on ear drops now and i havent seen her make that face since. poor bunnies

Back