• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often does your bunny get sick

margarita

Young Bun
Just curious to how often your house bunnies get sick and need to go to the vet.

What is normal and what is a lot.

thanks

I can't see a definitive answer to that tbh, every single bun is totally different :)

My indoor rabbits are indoor because they are dental rabbits and one has a chest infection, so they need to be watched.

over 2 years, we have had 3 ill (EC,Abcess,unknown illness, all but 1 recovered), 3 with myxo (rescues) and 2 die suddenly (1 a week after neutering the other a young buck failure to thrive) (we have 40+ rabbits though)

Last edited:
I've got three, they're all nearing three years of age. Had one since she was a baby, the other two were adopted at six and seven months. No problems at all so far, touch wood.

I have three and one of them has never been 'ill', she needs watching with her teeth and sprained her leg once but no actual illness as such. Her husbun was very ill however when he was 5 to twelve weeks old with E.C and the likes. He did recover though and was fine.

My special girly, my single outdoor female has also been ill recently - she went into stasis after spay and I actually ended up making an appointment to PTS the next day because she was so ill and no one thought she'd get better. That night she really turned a corner and started pooing/eating/moving so the appointment was cancelled! Dee wasn't vaccinated for the first three years of her life (I know, i know, but I didn't know as much then!:oops:) and she's never ever been ill apart from the recent stasis. she is nearly six now and she's still going as strong as ever!:love:

some rabbits never get ill - others have lots of illness issues - I have some of both.

This. And some will have illnesses which flare up from time to time.

And of mine have something mild but they're all managed. Mini has a tendency to overproduce cecals but that's pretty much 100% managed now by her diet. Nutmeg has lung issues from snuffles in a previous home so if she gets a flare up of snuffles we need to be on pretty quick. Smudge get mild stasis every now and then we think from his nervous nature but the majority of the time I can treat at home with meds and a bunny buffet.

Fudge - never.

Truffle - once in 3.5 years - E.C this summer. We have taken her a few times previously with belly-ache, which maybe happens 3-4 times a year, but after the first few times we've got her through it without a vet trip, so I don't know if that counts - I guess she was ill, but didn't NEED to go to the vets if it hadn't been for our inexperience.

Touch wood but my buns have never been sick. I got the earlier this year. Moses will be about a year old soon and watson is about 9 months.
The only thing I ever had with Moses was that he pulled his stitches out after getting done. He's had a morning he didnt quite fancy eating but was fine in the afternoon. I really hope it stays like that as I have had buns that needed intensive care. I do have insurance for them but you still have to fork out £75 yourself.

Back