• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen water.

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Just went out to see the Bunnies and Marge. They were all fine and pleased to get breakfast but their bottles were totally frozen despite covers. Now thoroughly frosted and full of fresh water. They had the thick water covers plus plastic meeting to keep wind out.

Try a duvet under the plastic sheeting,
Does the trip for ours and we dont have bottle covers, if you dont have a spare or old duvet use an old duvet cover or sheet folded in half, none of ours have frozen even in minus 5

Goodness, it must be very cold indeed! :shock: When Spenser was outdoors I used a little hot water from te kettle in his bowl to slow down freezing, but not sure if you could do that with bottles.

i was told a couple of drops of liquid paraffin in the water stops freezing and doesn't harm the bunnies.

i did it last year and it worked in my water bowls. :D

I've never found anything that stops water from freezing when it's minus several degrees outside, even in an insulated shed. Insulation will stop the temperature dropping to a certain degree and will keep the frost off but it can't stop the ambient temperature from nearing the same as the outside temperature if there's no heatsource from within. I've tried heating bricks to stand bowls on, snugglesafes, surrounding a bowl with a deep layer of straw etc etc. That's why I installed tubular greenhouse heaters in both my sheds as I was worried that the buns had no access to water for the 8-9 hours I was out at work, never mind during the night. Hope you manage to find something that works for you.

Seriously though, for those that use bowls, I find that if you put hay under and around the bowl that helps to stop that water from freezing so much, don't know why.

Thanks. i did try water bowls but naughty Bunnies knock the water out!! i will see if i can find any old bedding.

Back