• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Random water freezing find this morning.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I have 4 bowls of plain water outside (varying sizes- all ceramic dog bowls) and one bowl of water laced with cranberry juice (not ideal, I know, but it's what Sandy likes and it encourages her to drink and is therefore the lesser of many evils, so for now her and Roger have both plain and laced water).

For the first time this year (it's -5 outside all the enclosures today; inside is significantly higher) I had ice in all my bowls Or rather, in all the plain water bowls. The two bowls next to the cranberry bowl were slushy and in the cranberry-water bowl there was not one drop of ice. I'm guessing cranberry freezes at a lower temp than water.

I know cranberry is not ideal but equally, it didn't freeze and thought it might be useful (but obviously if you don't know how your bunny does with cranberry, please introduce it gradually).

Wonder if its good for bunny UTI's too. I suppose if bunnies eat fruit, no different if its juice.

This is one awful winter.

Wow, that is a useful find.

I bought a heated water bowl for this winter so it's time to try it out I think!

Would this work for the bird bath do you think? It just freeezes solid and is really hard to keep up with.

Back