• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wise to bring old outdoor rabbits inside for winter?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

My two girls, Milly and Molly have always been outdoor rabbits. They are 5 years old and both mini rex. They have occasionally been indoors because they have been ill or recovering from operations.

As they get older, would it be wise to bring them indoors for winter? Is it age or would a decision be based on their current health? They are both fairly healthy and active at the moment.

I would leave them out unless there is a health reason not to or you would like them in over winter. I have Rosie and Bertie indoors and looking after them in the nasty weather is so uch easier! Plus I get lovely warm snuggles whent the weather is nasty! If I had room to have all mine indoors then I would!! :thumb:

I think a rabbits quality of life is greatly improved if it can come in for the winter months, and I think most rabbits enjoy a great deal more human contact, than a great deal less. Even if they are healthy, being 5, I would want them to stay that way, and I think older bunnies do find that the winter months takes it more out of them.

5 isn't that old, so it would depend on the bun. Some bunnies don't want human interaction, and some hate being indoors. Do you know how they cope indoors? The worry is, that if you find out after a couple of weeks that they're not happy indoors it would be too cold to put them out again.

If they're healthy and happy, and have shelter and somewhere to snuggle outside, I would be happy to leave them outside.

If they are healthy and happy outdoors I would certainly leave them there for this year. So long as they have somewhere dry, away from and draughts and can snuggle up safely they should be fine. If you are still concerned about them, you could always pop a snugglesafe in to generate some heat. Always extra hay and even fleeces can be an added bonus in helping keep them snuggly.

Perhaps you could bring them into a cool room in the house if it gets really cold.

And maybe consider bringing them indoors in the autumn next year when the temperature outside and inside is similar.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Five isn't old - or at least I hope not!! Flora's 10 in March and she's staying outside this winter. I have given her a plug in heat pad which is on 24/7 as she has arthritic joints and I feel the constant heat is something she should have the option of sitting on. Whether she chooses to or not is another matter! She also has a tubular greenhouse heater in the shed which I leave on overnight if it's below freezing. I've upped her pelleted feed slightly as well but other than that, she's happier outside (having had experience of her living indoors for a few weeks).

Pea and Pod are 5 and they're getting no special treatment this winter!

My rabbit Leo (who was PTS this autumn) lived outside all his life, he seemed to like the outdoors and if he was inside for a hop round he was ok but when he was ready he hopped to the back door.
He lived until he was 15 and was out in all weathers, his hutch was always dry and had covers on when very wet/cold.

Even when he had URI's he stayed out as he was happy outside.

This year he developed cancer and then gradually started going downhill - if he'd of survived until now I'd of had to bring him indoors possibly but even in his last days when I wanted him inside I set up a pop up pen by my bed but he was not having it and had to go outside again.

I'm not having more rabbits but if I did I'd look to get a shed to cover the winter weather.

All the rabbits I've had have always been kept outdoors :D

Back