• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystitis - Vet update 14/12/12

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Beatrix has Cystitis :( I noticed red wee in their littter tray this morning. I was taking them to the vet anyway to get Darcy checked as he has snuffles this past week and wanted Beatrix checked just in case. Poor Beatrix was very senstitive when examined. We know its def her as Darcy did a big wee on the vet's table (I think he was aiming for the vet!:lol:) and its wasn't red. Her temperature is normal. He said to give her metacam for the next week and should stop the inflamation and pain. Does anyone have any tips please that could help Beatrix? x

Last edited:
Has Beatrix had any apple leaves or sticks recently?

They colour the wee anywhere between bright viscous orange and bright maroon red.

Beatrix is having an X-ray to see what's happening. Vet thinks possible stone. She also has tiny spur so that will be filed while she is under ga. :( She has lost half a kg since Tuesday :( please send vibes for my baby x

Oh no I am really sorry to hear she has lost half a kilo. :( I really hope the vet finds the cause and that Beatrix can get the right treatment. Mega mega vibes for your lovely girl. xxx

Beatrix has a bacterial infection. Xrays showed no stones and teeth fine on full examination. She is on baytril for two weeks. She is only just coming round from ga so they said they want to keep her in to see how recovers. I can collect her in the morning. Can't wait to get my baby home x

Thanks so much for all the vibes xx

Any advice/tips on bacterial infections please let me know! x

Aww no, poor bun! :(

We're going through this with Smudge at the mo, she's also on baytril. Our vet also gave us cystaid which is usually for cats (she's a biggish bun), and said to increase veg (and add water to the veg), to flush her out.

Same as when humans get it I guess, you just need to flush out the infection,

Aww no, poor bun! :(

We're going through this with Smudge at the mo, she's also on baytril. Our vet also gave us cystaid which is usually for cats (she's a biggish bun), and said to increase veg (and add water to the veg), to flush her out.

Same as when humans get it I guess, you just need to flush out the infection,

I'll ask for that tomorrow. Beatrix can't eat veg as they upset her tummy. The only veg she has now is celery with lots of fresh herbs. That was on of the problems as Beatrix refused to drink. Hopefully now we she will be on baytril and metacam she will feel better and drink more. Sorry your Smudge is going through this too. Please give her a nosey rub from me xx

I'll ask for that tomorrow. Beatrix can't eat veg as they upset her tummy.

Yeah ours can get a bit of a funny tummy with too much veg. Or that's what we thought was giving them gas a while back, so we just stopped veg completely. We've now started it up again and fingers crossed they've been OK with it so far.

Sorry your Smudge is going through this too. Please give her a nosey rub from me xx

Thanks :) She seems to be getting better! It's not stopping her being naughty and eating the wrapped xmas pressies anyway :roll:

Back