• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best Type of Hay????????????????

margarita

Young Bun
Hello,

I usually buy Timothy Hay from Petco but i have noticed that the quality is that great all the time and my bunny doesnt want to eat some bags. I found a feed store that is by my house and they have every type of hay for a bunny. I was wondering is there a specific type i should get? I dont want to feed her the wrond type and her get sick or lead to problems which I know Alfalfa can in adult rabbits because it has to much calcium. Should i get Oxbox or timothy or the stuff straight from the farm.

Thanks
:)

Baled farm hay is great. Tends to be good quality long strands and is a lot cheaper. :)

My bun is SO picky! He will only eat Timothy hay. Cause I did try other stuff but no he had to have the good stuff. Oh well......:lol:

I've tried every type of hay there is, and the most important thing is that your bunny eats a pile the size of himself a day. Experiment with different types to see what he likes, and see what he eats the most of. Fibre-wise orchard grass is highest I think, and timothy is very high too, but all hay and grasses are high in fibre, so as long as he's eating it that is good.

My vet says people can get a bit too worked up about alfalfa. It is high in protein so can make buns put on weight, and it is higher in calcium that some (around 1.28%), but a little every now and again as a treat doesn't do any harm if the bunnies are healthy. But it shouldn't be used as a main hay.

Back