• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Babsy

funnyface1

Young Bun
Hi all,

My elderly bun needs some massive vibes:cry:. She stopped eating and has been falling over unable to get up. She has been at the vets since Saturday night and she has faded fast since last night. She hasnt been eating and is being syringe fed. They were going to xray and burr a tooth that looked painful, but they think its neurological and that she wont survive the GA. I have decided to take the risk for her, so I need some massive vibes to get her through this one. She has not been the best of health recently, she had a nasty nasal abscess 6 months ago and has elongated molars which have been giving her teary eyes, which she is on metacam and eyedrops for. I just hope it is an ear infection and not another nasty abscess somewhere. Massive vibes Babsy, you can make it!

Last edited:
All the vibes and hugs we can send for your special girl. What will be will be, and I would do the same. Will be thinking of you both and hoping for good news later today xx

Thanks everybody. She has come round now. She has a little spur in her mouth which has caused some tissue damage and Xrays show teeth have gone into jawbone and there is evidence of an abscess, which cannot be removed as it is around the jawbone. The abscess hasnt penetrated the jawbone, so I am not sure if Duphapen would touch it. Does anyone have any experience of this? and has anyone got any experience of severe dental disease. I can handle any palitive care and injections but I dont want to put her through anymore pain if the Duphapen really isnt going to help. Plus she isnt eating so I dont know whether it is the spur or the teeth in the roots with the abscess. Plus she cant even stand up. I really dont know what to do. I just wish I had taken her to my usual vet and not the nearest one on 24 hour :-(

I am sorry that she is so unwell :cry:

What has the Vet said about her inability to stand ? Has she lost all feeling in her hind limbs ?

With regards to the Dental abscess, Duphapen may contain the infection, even if it does not cure it (unlikely if the offending tooth root remains insitu)

Good pain control will be an absolute essential too.

Has the Vet run a full blood profile to see how her major organs are coping ?

Yes, she has lost feeling in her back legs, as not responding to pinch test. They havent done any bloods. Vet said the wobblyness could be middle ear infection but they dont know. She is pressing her face on the side of the cage too which they said indicates she is in pain. They have been giving pain relief and Baytril, but even with all that she is not well. I am just not sure anyone can do with this tooth root in the jaw and whether she can take much more.

I am very cross and upset and will never take any of my buns there again. She could have been diagnosed and been on treatment by now if I had gone to Guy.

Keep us posted. I really feel for you and Babsy. Take heart that you are doing all you can, that is the way I'm thinking about things.

It's difficult when you want to know they are painfree and can't always get that answer. Try and hang in there a bit longer.

Lots of hugs and vibes.

She's gone :-(

She's gone to rainbow bridge. I can't believe it, she stopped breathing and slipped away as they were trying to give her a drip. Goodness knows why they didn't do that straight after her g.a or even take bloods whilst she was having X-rays. I feel like I have failed her, if only I had taken her to guy straight away she would have had a better chance. I will never take my rabbit to vets now or mk vets both useless. Saturday morning she went in and I explained to vet that she kept falling over and wasn't eating. I was sent home with a gut stimulate injection, he didnt check teeth or tummy or listen to heart, and told me to come back Monday. Saturday night she was still not eating so took her back in. Vet took her in but completely missed her bad tooth. By Monday she was not any better but not any worse but they didn't do anything until today, when it was too late. I really feel like making a complaint. At least she isn't in pain anymore. Rest in peace my sweet babsy. Thank you everybody for your vibes. X

She's gone to rainbow bridge. I can't believe it, she stopped breathing and slipped away as they were trying to give her a drip. Goodness knows why they didn't do that straight after her g.a or even take bloods whilst she was having X-rays. I feel like I have failed her, if only I had taken her to guy straight away she would have had a better chance. I will never take my rabbit to vets now or mk vets both useless. Saturday morning she went in and I explained to vet that she kept falling over and wasn't eating. I was sent home with a gut stimulate injection, he didnt check teeth or tummy or listen to heart, and told me to come back Monday. Saturday night she was still not eating so took her back in. Vet took her in but completely missed her bad tooth. By Monday she was not any better but not any worse but they didn't do anything until today, when it was too late. I really feel like making a complaint. At least she isn't in pain anymore. Rest in peace my sweet babsy. Thank you everybody for your vibes. X
You did the best you could. Binky across the rainbow bridge little one:cry:

Oh I am so sorry. RIP little one. Like you say she is no longer in pain. Good luck with your complaint, it seems you did everything you could but sadly they didn't.

Back