• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Disposal

Jonny

Warren Scout
I am in a bit of a quandary deciding what to do with wasted hay and contents of the buns' litter trays. We used to put them in our green garden bin, but we received a notice from the council that they class this as animal waste, and therefore they will not accept it in future. The local tip also refuses to take it!

We try to stuff it into our black bin, but with fortnightly collections there simply isn't room for a couple of large black sacks of spoiled hay/soil/newspapers...

Any ideas?

Thanks!:D

I take mine down to our local council tip yard where they have a skip just for animal waste :)

Do you know any gardeners? As long as you don't use wood shavings which aren't good for rabbits anyway they will probably take it to compost.

Mine always goes in the brown bin... Food/garden waste. You can't put cat litter in it but as the rabbit hay, litter and poo is all natural really... I've never had any problems!

The soiled newspapers go either to landfill.......:( or I give them to a gardener who uses them to light winter bonfires. The soiled hay and straw goes to the green waste skip at the tip.

The tip should let you dispose of it there, they may not be letting you put it with the green waste but should let you put it in the general waste / residual waste bin, have you tried that. There is no difference in where it ends up if it is in your rubbish bin or the tips rubbish bin.

This has become a massive problem for me as our local tip also put a sign up a couple of months ago saying 'no animal waste, including bedding'. They do not accept animal waste at all, not even bagged and placed in the general waste.

I have 10 rabbits and 6 chinchillas, so far too much waste for our fortnightly wheelie bin collection.

It infuriates me as my rabbits' waste is just hay and poo, so perfectly compostible but I cannot put in in the green waste skip at the tip like I used to.

I now take all my household waste to the tip so that I can use my bin just for rabbit waste. I am also having to pay to have additional collections by the council. An extra collection for a full wheelie bin is £10 or £15 for two full bins. I've had to buy another wheelie bin so that I can have 2 emptied at the same time as it is better value for money.

It has been an absolute nightmare as I have had bags of waste building up while I've tried to find a solution.

I begrudge having to pay to get rid of the waste as it is ultimately going to exactly the same place as if it was taken to the tip for free. I'm now having to spend around £30 per month just to have my rabbit waste taken away, but I really don't know what else I can do.

Last edited:
The tip should let you dispose of it there, they may not be letting you put it with the green waste but should let you put it in the general waste / residual waste bin, have you tried that. There is no difference in where it ends up if it is in your rubbish bin or the tips rubbish bin.

That's what I would have thought, too. I bag mine and put in the black (general waste) bin or take it to the tip.

What a nightmare.

Have you phoned your Council - what do they expect you to do with it?

Last edited:
This has become a massive problem for me as our local tip also put a sign up a couple of months ago saying 'no animal waste, including bedding'. They do not accept animal waste at all, not even bagged and placed in the general waste.

I have 10 rabbits and 6 chinchillas, so far too much waste for our fortnightly wheelie bin collection.

It infuriates me as my rabbits' waste is just hay and poo, so perfectly compostible but I cannot put in in the green waste skip at the tip like I used to.

I now take all my household waste to the tip so that I can use my bin just for rabbit waste. I am also having to pay to have additional collections by the council. An extra collection for a full wheelie bin is £10 or £15 for two full bins. I've had to buy another wheelie bin so that I can have 2 emptied at the same time as it is better value for money.

It has been an absolute nightmare as I have had bags of waste building up while I've tried to find a solution.

I begrudge having to pay to get rid of the waste as it is ultimately going to exactly the same place as if it was taken to the tip for free. I'm now having to spend around £30 per month just to have my rabbit waste taken away, but I really don't know what else I can do.

It does compost down quite fast. I empty ours every week and you think 'oh it's full, gonna have to move to the other side next week' and the next week comes and there's room again. Helps if you dont use any kind of megazorb/aubose/etc. Do you have a spare couple of square metres where you could make a compost bin at the bottom of the garden away from the animals? Or someone who would take it and compost it for you? Local allotment association?

I have two brown bind for garden waste and can put it in there and also when they are ful (8 buns, 8 piggies) then I fill black sacks and take them to the tip...its a bit of a pain but I just store the bags in the shed so they dont get wet and then fill my 4x4 up :oops:

Back