• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible stasis but ok now, any ideas what caused it?

egg

Warren Scout
Hi,

We had a terrible scare last night after being out all day, my daughter called around lunch time to say Shimmer wasn't moving and hadn't eaten anything all day. When we got back yesterday evening she was cold, lethargic and refusing to eat. She was just sat there in a hunched position looking really sad where she had apparently been all day. There were some very small poos in the litter tray along with some big ones which I assume were from the other rabbit.

We tried to tempt her with her favourite food but she wouldn't take anything, or drink anything. We gave her 2ml of Fiberplex and syringe fed her some water but not sure how much actually went into her mouth. I got up in the early hours to do it again, she was no different.

I got up at 6am to get her ready to take to the vets, half expecting her not to have survived the night, and she was right as rain this morning as though nothing had happened. She was pottering around, grooming herself, laying out in a nice comfy position, munching on hay, drinking, grooming her partner, all the usual things. She ate breakfast, ate a handful of parsley just now (practically climbed over her partner Charlie to get to it!) and to look at her you would never know anything had been wrong.

We're keeping a close eye on her but I'm terrified it might happen again. Any ideas what could have caused it? She has no signs of dental problems and is eating enthusiastically today. Could it be her diet or stress perhaps? This is what she eats:

Dried mix on a morning
unlimited hay all day
snacks during the day of parsley
shares a large leaf of spring greens, a small piece of carrot and small piece of broccoli for supper, with some extra hay.
Their evening treat for going back to their cage when I ask them to :lol: is either quarter of a digestive biscuit each or a yoghurt drop treat.

Could it be the broccoli causing gas?

I'm so worried it will happen again.

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

It may be that she had a gassy tummy which caused pain.

I would cut out the biscuit/youghurt drops as they are far too high in sugar and even a minimal amount can be enough to tip the balance for some Rabbits.

Broccoli can cause gas, so that could be another culprit. It does sound as though she is getting a bit too well fed to be honest. So maybe you could look at adjusting her diet to healthier amounts ?

I am glad that she is feeling better now :)

Thanks for the advice Jack'sJane. I'll certainly cut out the biscuit/yoghurt drop and substitute them with parsley. I had no idea even a little bit of sugar can upset their tums. I'm not chancing it with broccoli again either.

I didn't realise I was feeding them too much :oops: Do you think I should cut down on the veggies in the evening or their dried mix, or both? I'm reluctant to change the dried mix to pellets (I know I should) due to Shimmer's delicate tummy as she's a very picky eater to start with. They have a full bowl between 2 of them every morning, although my other bun Charlie eats at least 60-70% of it.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree with Jacks-Jane that it seems as if you are overfeeding a little. The recommended amount of dried food is about an eggcup full per day for each rabbit so if you cut back to that and use the veg or herbs asthe treat to entice them back in they should have no problems.

Yes, I agree with Jacks-Jane that it seems as if you are overfeeding a little. The recommended amount of dried food is about an eggcup full per day for each rabbit so if you cut back to that and use the veg or herbs asthe treat to entice them back in they should have no problems.

Oooo my goodness I've been giving them way too much :oops:

Thanks tonibun, I'll do as you and Jane advised and cut back to the amounts you suggest.

Shimmer is still bouncing around as usual, no signs of the stasis returning. I've already cut out anything sugary and cut out broccoli. I'll amend their dried food and veggie portions as you suggested. Thank you both very much for your advice :)

Thanks for the advice Jack'sJane. I'll certainly cut out the biscuit/yoghurt drop and substitute them with parsley. I had no idea even a little bit of sugar can upset their tums. I'm not chancing it with broccoli again either.

I didn't realise I was feeding them too much :oops: Do you think I should cut down on the veggies in the evening or their dried mix, or both? I'm reluctant to change the dried mix to pellets (I know I should) due to Shimmer's delicate tummy as she's a very picky eater to start with. They have a full bowl between 2 of them every morning, although my other bun Charlie eats at least 60-70% of it.

Thanks.

I would avoid feeding anything other than hay inthe arvo/evening. This is the time they should be eating up their soft poos and if theyre too full they wont.

Back