• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to introduce veggies to a rabbit

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
I've unexpectedly taken in a foster rabbit, Spot, who is 9 months old and has been kept in a cardboard box all this time. He has never eaten veggies only a mixture of muesli. How do I introduce veggies and which ones are best for a rabbit who is just trying them for the first time.

photo-36.jpg

Last edited:
He has lived in a cardboard box for 9 months? :cry: thats devastating:cry:

I'm no expert at bunny care however I would introduce veggies very slowly, a small try one day and the same again the next day. Assuming the veg doesnt seem to cause spot any issues then I would probably introduce a different veg after 3-4 days. My Peter is now 7 months old and has a handful a day usually consisting of a mix of spring greens, herbs (he loves parsley, coriander and dill), sometimes a small piece (half a small floret) of brocolli, a couple of brussel leaves. Very, very occasionally will be get a slice of carrot or apple, not very often at all.

Give a small peice of something for a few days, see if he has any bloating or sticky bum, if he's ok with it give him a bit more the next day, then a bit more the next, then add in something new in the same way.

He's gorgeous. :love:

Yeah I;d try herbs too, that's what I started my buns off with when they were babies - just small amounts until they were older. Favourites with my buns are thyme, mint, coriander and parsley :D

Back