• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding a partner?

I have a neutered female bunny that recently lost her male companion. I'd like to find her a new friend preferably a neutered male, but am wondering what the implications will be be if i introduce one that isn't neutered. Also although the rabbits have their own hutches they do share their run with guinea pigs, so am not sure if that would be a good idea as I've no experience of an entire bunny and how demanding they get?

you can always adopt from a rescue,, that way the bunny will already be neutered ;) also some rescues help with bonding :wave:

Yes it will be a rescue bunny whatever, but I have been offered one that is in foster at the moment and he hasn't been done.
I think I know the answer already really but I think I needed it confirmed so that I can justify not taking on the one I've already been offered if that makes sense!

I would wait for a neutered bun, much easier to bond them. I wouldn't let the buns and guinea pigs share a run, the buns could hurt the pigs xx

I got a neutered rescue female for my male lop for a companion and they are getting on famously. I was also recommended someone to bond them for me.

Good luck!!!

Fee xx

Unneutered he'll hump the female and if he annoys her enough she'll bite back and there can be nasty injuries. I wouldn't generally advise rabbits and guinea pigs sharing, but definitely not unneutered as he may well try humping them too!

If you can get pre-neutered that's much better as the hormones will have had time to go down too.

Also, please seek advice before putting a new rabbit with your existing one, if you don't already know.

Ah-ha, you are in Hertfordshire. I'd suggest contacting Rabbit Residence rescue near Royston. Caroline has so many bunnies in you are bound to find a suitable match. She also offers a bonding service so you wouldn't have that to worry about.

Bear in mind that it is entirely up to your bunny as to who they choose as their husbun.

Most bunnies in rescue awaiting forever homes are already neutered and fully vaccinated. I would imagine that any un-neutered bunnies are because of age and or health problems.

Have a look on the rabbit re-home website which features rescues from all over the country, many of which re-home nationwide and will offer a bonding service for you.

Best of luck.:thumb:

I'll probably try my local one's first, RSPCA at Southridge and Woodgreen Animal Shelter at Heydon as I have adopted from both in the past.

I've kept rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens pigs together for over ten years and never had any problems apart from one pig that had to be kept seperate as he was not social, maybe I've just been very lucky but I find they keep to their own and don't bother each other and they have plenty of hiding places if necessary. Often find the cats in there too looking for mice but only after the chickens have gone to bed as cats are scared of them!

I'll probably try my local one's first, RSPCA at Southridge and Woodgreen Animal Shelter at Heydon as I have adopted from both in the past.

I've kept rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens pigs together for over ten years and never had any problems apart from one pig that had to be kept seperate as he was not social, maybe I've just been very lucky but I find they keep to their own and don't bother each other and they have plenty of hiding places if necessary. Often find the cats in there too looking for mice but only after the chickens have gone to bed as cats are scared of them!

Please be aware that not all RSPCA shelters neuter. That one may, I don't know, but neutering both animals is imperative for a more straightforward bond.

Back