• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why you hiss at me mobile biscuit? *contains bug photo

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
sansabug.jpg

My partner was photographing one of our hissing cockroaches when Sansa decided to investigate. Hissing cockroaches are totally harmless and very docile but can hiss loudly.

Last edited:
:lol::lol: We have them at college, I found one in the bird room (which is next door to the exotics room where they belong) the other day and had to take it back!!

OMG pleaseeeeeeeeeee put a warning next time!!!
I dont mind most animals/insects but those are one thing that really freak me out :( even the name *shudders*

cant edit title on phone so had to remove as didnt realise it would offend. picture was of our dog staring at a hissing cockroach.

Wow!
I didn't realise that they had colours on them.
I don't think I could ever own one but it looks very cute (which is a weird thing to say about a cockroach haha)

Ah I remember they had these at my college, they're pretty cool! I liked the giant millipedes as well.

Fascinating. I couldn't imagine what it would be - spiders are my phobia and it didn't sound like it was a spider.

So if you keep cockroaches together, do they breed? Or can you sex cockroaches? I'm confident you can't get them neutered whatever the answers to the first two questions. :lol:

Or maybe they're parthenogenic?

They remind me of dung beetles. Do they really hiss ? Where do they originally come from, is it Africa ?

I could keep them if I never wanted my mum to visit. :lol:

I must confess that I do intentionally breed my cockroaches as the younger ones make excellent food for our lizards and tarantulas and it means I can feed them up with lots of good food before feeding them to my other animals along with keeping them in an appropriate enclosure and at least allowing them plenty of space and food. I use the adults in animal handling demos for kids.

The males are very easy to spot when adult as they have large "horns", the females tend to be smaller and their horns much less obvious. They can hiss very loudly and it sounds like someone opening a can of juice.:lol: The males will hiss at each other and both will hiss when threatened. Females give birth to up to 50 or so young at a time instead of laying eggs like most insects do.

The species is native to Madagascar but they are easily bred in captivity.

they're fantastic to look at but really creep me out :lol: and they do hiss :shock: I always thought it was just a name until I met some at college :shock:

:shock: when I saw the pic thought you had found it on your bed, didn't realise it was a pet, ooooh makes me shiver, but quite cool in a weird way :lol:

Back