• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benjie's broken his toe

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Doesn't sound much does it?
I feel rotten cos I'm not sure when it happened, possibly last night. He's got black well trimmed nails, & black fur, & he isn't limping or raising his paw, but not putting his full weight at the side.
Then I saw the nail sticking out at right angles. :shock: It's firmly attatched & the middle joint is swollen but no breach of the skin.

Yesterday he had a big flare up of his snuffles, & quite marked gut slow down.
I don't think it was broken then cos he was standing on it to clean his nostril with his other paw.
He always keeps his nose very clean so it was noticable this morning that he hadn't cleaned up.

So it's a good dose of metacam, & emergency vets tomorrow. I'm hoping he just trims the nail well back, so it doesn't catch, & leaves the GA & any surgery until there's a more experienced rabbit vet available.

We really don't need this with a snuffles bun who's already had spread of the bug throughout his system.
Poor little fella.:cry:

Oh no!:cry: Poor boy.

I had a boarding bunny with a sore toe here in the summer but he want putting any weight on it. A quick amputation and he was back to normal in no time.

What a shame about his snuffles, fingers crossed nothing in the treatment of this mishap causes a flare up.

I am so sorry to hear Benji has broken his toe. Best of luck at the emergency vets tomorrow. Hope it is straight forward. Why does it always happen on the weekend.

Thank you so much Aliduncan1, Barnyardbunnies & littleblackie.
Yep, I was pretty sure it would be a quick amputation, & I'm fine about that side cos I know that buns don't miss just 1 toe.
I've been concerned about him all week. They've been earthmoving on a big scale to make an access road immediately opposite. That's not a problem, it's not too noisy. It was the soil compaction which was vibrating the house - my computer screen wobbling, & tea sloshing a bit in the cup, which kept spooking him. Poor fella was thumping away. His eating changed = very early gut slow down = is it his teeth? has the growth under his tongue come back? has he got a blocked sinus & pain from there? or is it just that he's so nervous at the best of times that he's stressed? So in with the metacam, & his nose started to pour. It was questions again. Is this good cos a sinus has unblocked? or is his snuffles roaringly out of control?
(I saw a new vet a few weeks ago cos he was off his food. She wouldn't give an unlicensed ABx without a c&s but seemed to think she could do it at the bottom of his nose.:shock:
Because he also had 2 abscesses when he came here, + snuffles, it's pretty certain he's got generalised pasteurella

Teeth OK so she give metacam - which worked.)

Then he virtually stopped drinking. He's on a totally dry diet, so it's "please don't get a block on stiff food".
He stresses out in a big way if I syringe in anything - but he'll lap metacam off my palm. No way could I get a significant amount of fluid in syringing him, I'm frightened to push it, in case that growth's there again. Apparently it was really friable & there are big veins under the tongue.

My usual vet good with small mammals is pregnant, so is just working alternate weeks.I've an appointment to see her on Tues.
Snuffles & tummy both improved today. My feeling is, let's just tide him over until Tues if poss & Mon if not, cos this is far from simple.

Because he's a high risk GA, he really needs his mouth checking out fully, & the vets need to decide whether to do a c&s at the same time.

ETA If the skin's broken & I've missed it, (easy enough) he just got to have the amputation tomorrow.
I think the vet needs "vibes" as well as us!

Last edited:
Why are rabbits never straightforward? You know him so well Judy, he is in extremely capable and empathic hands so will get through this. I feel your pain with your favourite vet. My best bunny vet has just left on maternity leave and I will miss her terribly!

Sorry I've just had a chance now to reply to this Judy.
Sending all my best wishes and prayers for you, wee Benjie and his doctors.

Good luck at the vets little Benjie. Hope you're OK.

Lots of vibes and hugs to you both. x

Thank you so much everyone. :love:
Something's worked cos I didn't have to ask anything! In fact his nail had also partly torn out of it's bed & although there's swelling in the toe joint it's nothing like the deformity I thought.
So Benjie was very brave, & is without a nail, & we'll just get it checked over on Tues.

Tummywise, he had a good drink & snack in the small hours. Good boy is staying off his pellets & mainly eating gut moving leaves.
Snuffles is less discharge. Hey Ho - metacam the wonder drug!

More light heartedly, Benjie got spooked again last night. It certainly wasn't a very talkative fox with lot's to say.
I'm beginning to wonder whether he could have seen a big spider.
Thumper was quite arachnophobic:oops: & used to ask me to put spiders outside.:lol:
I can't have 2 arachnophobic buns in a row, can I?

ETA The amount of blackthorn he's eaten in the last hour + drunk 1/2 bowl of water, no way do we have a stasis problem :D:D:D I've just got to clear out a forest of stripped twigs from under my bed.:lol:

Last edited:
So pleased Benji is drinking and hope the toe now heals quickly his nail has come out. He sounds a real character like your Thumper was.

Well. well an arachnophobic bunny.:lol::lol: Thankfully we haven't seen any spiders for months.

So pleased Benji is drinking and hope the toe now heals quickly his nail has come out. He sounds a real character like your Thumper was.

Well. well an arachnophobic bunny.:lol::lol: Thankfully we haven't seen any spiders for months.

Oh he's a great character. All these months he's been thoroughly tuned in to me, but I didn't understand him. It's as if a couple of months ago he realised, "poor hoomin wants to understand, but doesn't "get it". He started "talking" by throwing my alarm clock around when it was "play time".
More recently he licked my hand frantically when I tried to give metacam = "Look I'll lap it up no bother -just don't stick that horrid thingy in my mouth!" - and he does.:D
As interest wears off I give him a "gentle reminder" by lifting his muzzle, & wow does the frantic licking start up again!
Aren't I rotten?:oops::lol:

:lol::lol: Thankfully never needed to give my lot any meds, only Babydarling the chinchilla. He is a smart little fella. After 2 years and 2 long eye infections, I finally learnt all I had to do was poke the syringe in their hutch and he would take it with his little hands and take it himself. :roll: The other two knew it was his. :shock:

awww hope Benjie continues to do well. It is such an added stress with the snuffles but it sounds like he is one happy bunny who knows he's loved :love:

Sounds like he's on the mend again.

Doughnut doesn't take any notice of spiders. It's me who is scared. She was bouncing around a large one and I was trying to get her away so I could get rid of it. Because I was near it she's bouncing around it nosing to see what I'm doing.

Thank you so much everyone. Benjie is hopping around well, but I've been having big probs understanding what's been spooking him. He was spooked again last night.
I can't calm him down, even if I curl round him, making a bunny "scrape" hole shelter with my body & arm for him.
Snuffles is almost dry, but he was slightly off his food this morning - eating blackthorn for his gut.
I've been desperate to understand what was spooking him, cos apart for caring about any animal's peace of mind; in Benjie's case, it's a disaster for his snuffles.

Jacks-Jane thinks he's having probs with his ears from the snuffles infection, maybe tinnitus/ears popping. I expect it would make him think he was being stalked by a predator, hence the blind panick.
Poor little fella.
We're seeing Amy (his normal vet) tomorrow. If it's spread to his ear - otitis media - lets hope we've got onto it early.

I'm getting together a possible sequence of events.
Earthmoving for building - causes house vibration - frightens him = stress - causes immune system to fall + gut slow down - infection flares up - possible involvement of the ear - odd noises - panic - toe injury.

Snuffles is a HORRID illness!!!!

Back