• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bit worried about matthew...

happybun

Wise Old Thumper
just found him wedged between a puppy pen and the wall. he's an escapologist and loves to find a tiny place to hide but it looked like he couldn't get out.

at first i thought he was dead, he was still, didn't move when i touched him. i got my gloves and a bag to put his poor remains into so i could move him easily.

when i picked him up, it was clear he was still with us, though he didn't make any attempt to move. i had a good look at him, all his bits were there, didn't see any injuries, wasn't flinching, didn't seem to have wet or pood himself. i put him on my chest and he moved towards my neck a little - he likes to put his head under my chin.

i spoke to him for a while, put him back in a pen with his sister and offered him some nuggets, which he started to eat. i put him down near the water so he could easily get a drink, in case he's been stuck for a while. i'm leaving him for half an hour or so in case he just needs to get over the shock of being stuck.

but i'm worried he might have been there deliberately, feeling ill. does anyone have bunnies who do that? mine would normally sit diagonally to any corner they could find, i've never known one hide.

I would keep an eye on him, he could be in shock but if he's moving normally, eating and pooping it sounds like he will be fine.

morning! last night i gave matthew a good long cuddle before i went to bed. i felt him all over and he didn't wince or act in pain. i gave him a gentle tummy rub . he wasn't clicking his teeth. he ate a few pellets. i then put him back with his sister and suggested he had a drink - which he did. he looks pretty good this morning, not hiding anywhere, not sitting diagonally. i'm going to give him a little infacol and chase him about a bit when there's a bit more light.
thank you for the positive thoughts, people.

i'm still worrying, though he seems to be doing everything he should. but he's not fully himself. i have one or two more matthew-cheering strategies to employ. he liked the mint...

:) gave them all some dandelion hay and he proved he knew what it was for! what a boy. he's just having a quiet day. but i'll keep my eye on him. parsley and basil with supper tonight.

byb, i was only thinking yesterday that i'd like to post something of the four of them, if only i had a camera...:D

yes but i'm a hermit so they aren't allowed into the house.:lol:

they have lots of cameras. son in law has a very posh camera indeed. they know how to upload things too. i don't make enough use of my resources...

Back