• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy was lifeless today

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

This morning I went out to feed Floppy and Willow only for Willow to come bounding out and Floppy lying lifeless in the litter tray!!

I tried rousing him but he barely moved.

Rushed him to vets where they literally checked all his orifices, temperature was perfect, heart strong.. The only thing they said was that although he was pooing fine, his gut sounded slow... Whilst at the vets, he became a bit more lively.. Not much but was moving.

They have given him a dose of fibreplex to take.

I have put the hutch in their new shed. Its wind and watertight and safe. He is eating now and not quite back to normal. What could havd happened? i got a terrible fright

They usually do if there guts are quiet/slow down to get their guts moving along :) but if your bunnys eating drinking pooin n weein again he should be on the mend :)

Yes.. And they do look lovely and golden too. Quite healthy looking ?

Just been out again. He looks ok.. A bit subdued perhaps but in and out of the hutch..

Did they check for a blockage? If no blockage, normally gut stimulants are given fir a slow gut, although they may have had reasons for not wanting to.

Did they check his teeth? Did they check for signs of dehydration (maybe pinched his skin to see if it went back into place immediately)?

It is great that he is doing better and pooing, but do keep an extremely close eye on him, especially his water and hay consumption and his weeing and pooing too.

I use emprid an oral form of metaclopromide the gut stimulant.
Its handy to have in the bunny first aid box.
hope he feels better soon xx

This can happen after a small fit - which in itself can be symptomatic of a range of things but EC is the real primary suspect. I have had two buns that have had fits that left them floppy - in both instances linked to EC.

It may be worth discussing this with the vet and either testing for active EC (which can now be done) or just treating.

I'll tey to get through questions you asked.

Yes, they checked hi teeth, said they looked perfect

Temperature in the shed now is around 4degrees, the other night it was -2

Oh, EC, i have been told to keep an eye on him and ohine vet on Monday if there are signs of concern

He has been absolutely fine today in his hutch and run. He is eating and nomming like fury and is usually a quite lazy boy, That hasnt changed, he has been in and out and investigating as we have put new boxes etc in the shed for them to play in..

Eating wise, he appeared back to his usual self this morning,pulling the food from willows mouth, clearly theres nothing wrong with his appetite.

This has shaken me a bit and I will be paying close attention. And Yes, i will speak to VET about EC. Will check the forum information about this.. Theres lots to take in when bunnies arent well....

Thanks y'all!
Fee xx

Back