• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny meds....

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
I'm at a loss as to how to get Maurices meds into him. He's on Metacam and Septrin (which is banana flavoured).....but unlike any other bun I've medicated....he seems to hate both of them.

trying to syringe them in upsets both of us....he hates it and gets VERY cross....this morning he bit me :(

I've tried mushing banana with them (worked for 3 days) and also soaked pellets (worked once) but he seems to know and refuses to eat them. I've also tried baby food too....which he wouldnt touch.

I'm going to try sugar snap peas today and see how that goes....but I really am starting to run out of ideas. He's on 3ml of septrin twice a day....which is quite a lot if you have to get it into something.

Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to have to syringe it in....I'm worried he will start getting bad tempered and stroppy with me all the time if you know what I mean.....but if I have to then I will :( His health is more important to me that wheter he likes me.

Would be so much easier and less stressfull if I could just inject it all :(

mix it with his pelletts:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Poppy wouldnt take hers id have to burrito her in a towel and force it into her, but i tried it on her dry pelletts with some herbs sprinkled ontop and she wharfed it down.
Now because the other bunnies want it she will take it from the syringe:lol:

Hi there, I am so sorry that this is happening, we have just spent the last few weeks trying to get meds into Herbs.. He always took the metacam with no problems but the antibiotics were always difficult.

We did mix them with water a few times which seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck. I hope he kind of gets used to it

Have you tried asking for the aniseed flavour septrin instead? Our buns all hate the banana but are ok with the aniseed - sem to recall its twice as strong as well so half the dose.

I'm at a loss as to how to get Maurices meds into him. He's on Metacam and Septrin (which is banana flavoured).....but unlike any other bun I've medicated....he seems to hate both of them.

trying to syringe them in upsets both of us....he hates it and gets VERY cross....this morning he bit me :(

I've tried mushing banana with them (worked for 3 days) and also soaked pellets (worked once) but he seems to know and refuses to eat them. I've also tried baby food too....which he wouldnt touch.

I'm going to try sugar snap peas today and see how that goes....but I really am starting to run out of ideas. He's on 3ml of septrin twice a day....which is quite a lot if you have to get it into something.

Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to have to syringe it in....I'm worried he will start getting bad tempered and stroppy with me all the time if you know what I mean.....but if I have to then I will :( His health is more important to me that wheter he likes me.

Would be so much easier and less stressfull if I could just inject it all :(

Could you discuss this option with the Vet ?

There is an abx similar to Septrin that comes in Injectable form

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antibi...80mg/400mg/5ml solution for infusion ampoules

Metacam comes in injection form too

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boe...n_for_Injection_for_Dogs_and_Cats/-26613.html

Might not work with that high a dose but I've had sucess with baytril in bread before. Mischa also hated the Septrin, he didnt mind it the first time he had it but after that he point blank refused it, was ok with it in banana though. Never had any of them refuse metacam though!

Have you tried asking for the aniseed flavour septrin instead? Our buns all hate the banana but are ok with the aniseed - sem to recall its twice as strong as well so half the dose.

Could you discuss this option with the Vet ?

There is an abx similar to Septrin that comes in Injectable form

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antibi...80mg/400mg/5ml solution for infusion ampoules

Metacam comes in injection form too

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boe...n_for_Injection_for_Dogs_and_Cats/-26613.html

I've just spoken to the vets, and they've said that they don't stock the aniseed flavour....and didn't know you could get it, but the nurse I was speaking to has said that she will see if she can order it in for me if she can get hold of it.
I gave her the information I found and the manufacturer so hopefully that will help.

When I asked about injecting, she said that they don't prescribe injectables....but I pointed out that I had previously been given injectable metaclop which she seemed surprised by...perhaps I wasn't supposed to have had it :? She said that I'd have to take him in twice a day to have it done....which to me sounds like a massive waste of time when I can do it here :?

She also said that injecting metacam gives a higher risk of kidney complications :? when administered over a long period of time...but I thought that was the case with metacam anyway.

Won't be able to do anything really till Monday with regards to new meds....so if the sugar snap peas don't work then I'll just have to put up with a VERY grumpy bunny for the weekend.

This might sound like a different idea...but when I was at the saddlers the other day I saw that they sell fenugreek powder....do you think that it's the same as they use for buns....and perhaps I could add it to the meds and see if he'll eat they that way?

ETA: forgot to say thank you for the suggestions :oops: :wave:

Last edited:
I've just spoken to the vets, and they've said that they don't stock the aniseed flavour....and didn't know you could get it, but the nurse I was speaking to has said that she will see if she can order it in for me if she can get hold of it.
I gave her the information I found and the manufacturer so hopefully that will help.

When I asked about injecting, she said that they don't prescribe injectables....but I pointed out that I had previously been given injectable metaclop which she seemed surprised by...perhaps I wasn't supposed to have had it :? She said that I'd have to take him in twice a day to have it done....which to me sounds like a massive waste of time when I can do it here :?

She also said that injecting metacam gives a higher risk of kidney complications :? when administered over a long period of time...but I thought that was the case with metacam anyway.

Won't be able to do anything really till Monday with regards to new meds....so if the sugar snap peas don't work then I'll just have to put up with a VERY grumpy bunny for the weekend.

This might sound like a different idea...but when I was at the saddlers the other day I saw that they sell fenugreek powder....do you think that it's the same as they use for buns....and perhaps I could add it to the meds and see if he'll eat they that way?

ETA: forgot to say thank you for the suggestions :oops: :wave:

This may seem a bit obstreperous - but WHY don't they prescribe injectibles? other vets do!

Things I have tried: teeny bit of bread; A basil leaf with med on and then rolled up.
It's a real problem, isn't it - but still easier than trying to get pills into my cats!

Try putting it on a fenugreek crunchie my bunnys even ate these with panacur on them without a problem hehe :wave:

I found mixing baytril with a tiny amount of ribena (or similar) helps my buns take it without a fuss.

I much prefer injectible meds for my cats and am fortunate that if I ask, the vet will give me medication in this form for both cats and buns.

None of my buns like banana but adore brown bread/toast. Could you try Maurice with a tiny amount of that?

Another thing I found helped with giving meds was to give a treat afterwards - usually a fenucreek crunchie - so the bun associated meds with a treat. That only works with buns who are food focused but from memory both of yours are:):)

Back