• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My beautiful bunny Newt...

batmobile

Mama Doe
Sadly my lovely friendly gorgeous Newt died this morning. She had been losing weight and I did wonder last night if it would be her last - you can just tell sometimes. I am sad but as a practical bunny Mum, my main concern is her partner. She was very closely bonded to a female Rex cross who is now on her own. I have 10 bunnies altogether now and although I love them all, I am wondering if I should continue the cycle I am in which is 'always rebond instantly as I hate them to be alone' and bring the number back up to 11 or leave her on her own. The main reasons are that I have no idea how old she is or her history and would worry that she would pass away on her new partner fairly soon... I know that probably sounds stupid. Also, I ideally wanted to get out of the cycle. the only way to do this would be to try and bond her into a trio but then I worry about breaking bonds and it turning into a big mess! Also I would be unable to do the bonding myself as I am a wuss so goodness knows how I would go about that (and impossible to find a neutral space). So, RUers, what do I do? My heart says send her to honeybunnies to find a husbun thereby helping another bun but my head is saying that I really should try and stop the cycle. Head or heart?
RIP Newt my little baby. I have just edited this because I ended up sobbing uncontrolably at feeding time - I think it suddenly sunk in that I am never going to see her punky head ever again. :(

Last edited:
So very sorry for your loss. It's heart-breaking to lose a much-loved bun. :cry:

I think before you re-bond her partner, to a new bun or an existing pair, it's important to quarantine as it sounds as if Newt might have had EC :?. I'd be tempted to try a trio if you're not sure you want to keep the cycle going... As you say, it's a difficult decision. Maybe a rescue would perform the bond for you for a donation? :wave:

Thanks. I wondered about EC but they are all panacured and all in a stable together in different enclosures... I lost one to cancer earlier this year and this seemed very similar too. I have the space for another bun, it's more about whether I should try and reduce numbers for the future or just accept that I will always have a rather large menagerie.

Thought I'd put a picture of Newt on here. I loved her hair!! She was as cuddly as she looked and we had our last cuddle last night beforeI closed up for the night. She rested her chin on my shoulder. I thought at the time: I think she knows it's nearly time.

IMAG0146.jpg

Thought I'd put a picture of Newt on here. I loved her hair!! She was as cuddly as she looked and we had our last cuddle last night beforeI closed up for the night. She rested her chin on my shoulder. I thought at the time: I think she knows it's nearly time.

IMAG0146.jpg

So sorry she looks like she had a WONDERFULL life.

Binky free

will beat Jo to the update..Newts bereaved partner will be coming to find a Honeybunny-husbun in the New year..I'm sure Newt will watch over them both x

Ripley (Newt's partner - anyone see the Aliens film reference? Hubby named them!) is eating and pooing fine but she is obsessively eating hay. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's almost like a 'tic'. If anyone has any advice on how to help her grieving process - I can't bring her inside as we don't have a bunny safe space so she is on her own. I put a wicker toy in which she has destroyed and some willow sticks to chew on. I do wonder if I am projecting my feelings onto her and looking for it though. I am trying to get some weight off her too - she's huge and still greedy despite losing Newt.
I am thrilled that I can take on another Honeybunny. My decision to go with my heart wasn't difficult to make. I have set ups for 5 pairs so what's the point in whittling my numbers down? Plus I am reluctant to form trios in case I break bonds and end up with 3 unhappy buns. Thanks to Jill for agreeing to do another bond for me. I do worry that Ripley is old and might not be around for long but a few years ago I had two bunny brothers - one died when he was 8 leaving Houdini on his own. I made the decision to leave him as a sole bunny for exactly that reason: He might not be around for much longer. He lasted another 4 years and was alone for all of them. It is a HUGE regret of mine and hence why Ripley will not be on her own for long. Can't predict the future and the welfare of all my buns is paramount and the reason I do what I do... So long story short: Ripley just has to spend Xmas on her own and then hopefully we can find her another friend.

I'm sure she is missing her friend, but hes we do project our human emotions onto our pets and she may not be grieving as much as you think.
If she is eating and pooing then don't worry too much..only about 3 1/2 weeks and we can get her a new partner :D

You are a star, Jill. I am awful for projecting emotions onto all my animals: Oh look at her sad eyes... Oh she looks so embarrassed etc etc.
Gosh when you put it like that...3.5 weeks. That means I need to get a move on with my shopping! x

You are a star, Jill. I am awful for projecting emotions onto all my animals: Oh look at her sad eyes... Oh she looks so embarrassed etc etc.
Gosh when you put it like that...3.5 weeks. That means I need to get a move on with my shopping! x

Would love a pic of your embarressed rabbit :lol: and i did say ABOUT 3 1/2 weeks !:lol:

ABOUT 3.5 weeks is scary enough when you have done no shopping at all. Because it means it's APPROX 2 weeks to Xmas. Gulp. :lol:I am off until the 7th of Jan so should be able to organise some sort of run one of those days - if you're ready for greedy guts by then.

I knew you would go with your heart :D

Just keep a close eye on her. Katy slowed down eating and got bad statis about 3-4 weks after we lost homer, doen't sound like that is the case for Ripley. Katy needs to lose weight as she was used to unlimited pellets due to Homey not eating hay. She eats more hay now but not lost weight :roll:

I spend as much time as I can with Katy, stroking her and kissing her ears (she seems to like that) even though she never used to let me she does now - on her terms ;)

Back