• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He's gone. heart broken.

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this...

Big had his forth bout of bloat last week. His tum seems fine now but for the past three days his whole body is shaking as he breathes... like when they're really stressed. He doesnt seem stressed as eating/pooing/sleeping normally, but the shacking/wobbeling is really noticable?

The only thing I can think of its maybe hes cold? Its got really cold here lately. But the other one isnt doing it... argh!! :(

Last edited:
As he has had numerous episodes of gut stasis/bloat I suspect the episodes are due to another *primary problem*

What diagnostics has the Vet done, if any ?

When you say he is 'shaking' do you mean as a person may shiver, or is it that his body moves as he breathes ie a noticeable increased respiratory effort ?

As he has had numerous episodes of gut stasis/bloat I suspect the episodes are due to another *primary problem*

What diagnostics has the Vet done, if any ?

When you say he is 'shaking' do you mean as a person may shiver, or is it that his body moves as he breathes ie a noticeable increased respiratory effort ?

I went to two vets, both said it was bloat and gave recovery medecine.... he had a gut stimulant and fluids from the first and nothing from the second. He's been totally fine gut wise all weeek its just these last two days ive noticed this.... hes wobbling as he breath6es, as if he's panting almost? Like they do when you've just got back from the vets and they're calming down. Ive listened to his ch6est as best I can and cant hear and crackling or anything and h6e isnt sneezing....

I went to two vets, both said it was bloat and gave recovery medecine.... he had a gut stimulant and fluids from the first and nothing from the second. He's been totally fine gut wise all weeek its just these last two days ive noticed this.... hes wobbling as he breath6es, as if he's panting almost? Like they do when you've just got back from the vets and they're calming down. Ive listened to his ch6est as best I can and cant hear and crackling or anything and h6e isnt sneezing....

Sorry just realised what you meant, he's not seen a vet about this problem yet. As it doesnt seem to be bothering him I thought wed be alright waiting till Monday now...

Sorry just realised what you meant, he's not seen a vet about this problem yet. As it doesnt seem to be bothering him I thought wed be alright waiting till Monday now...

It sounds as though he is exhibiting signs of a respiratory problem or a cardiac problem

Even if it is 'not bothering him' I would not want to be leaving it until Monday to consult a Vet.

It sounds as though he is exhibiting signs of a respiratory problem or a cardiac problem

Even if it is 'not bothering him' I would not want to be leaving it until Monday to consult a Vet.

I thought that as I wrote it! I just took him. Vet says his heart sounds good but his lungs ar a bit crackly. He's been given Batryl but she says hopefully its not too bad as hes still happy in h6imself. Poor Big. He's always ill.

Sending loads a get well vibes for big :love: is he indoors where you can watch over him :love:

Yep, h lives in doors. He just had his first squirt of batryl although i dont know how much actually got in his mouth!!!

BUT the boiler has just broken :( How am i going to keep my poorly one warm :(

You can put his baytril on some bread or into some banana which makes it easier if he won't take it well.

You can put his baytril on some bread or into some banana which makes it easier if he won't take it well.

I was thinking bread actually! The vet said ribeeena but he didn't likee it. Iv got the tinyest heatr known to man lol. And obviously it cant gpo in their room as they'll eat the wire!! :roll:

I was thinking bread actually! The vet said ribeeena but he didn't likee it. Iv got the tinyest heatr known to man lol. And obviously it cant gpo in their room as they'll eat the wire!! :roll:

Hmmm so hes been on the meds 3 days noe.(not counting the first one as almost none went in his mouth). Hes no better nor worse... Does anyone know if it should be woeking by now? Xx

Hmmm so hes been on the meds 3 days noe.(not counting the first one as almost none went in his mouth). Hes no better nor worse... Does anyone know if it should be woeking by now? Xx

I'm sure if it is working you would see an improvement by now. My vet always says 24hrs things should start getting better. My vet doesn't use Baytrill often too broad spectrum, and when Roger used to have the same problems he said he needed a much stronger more specific antibiotic. Metronidazole was always very effective for Roger. I would imagine your vet will want to try something else. I think the trouble with Baytrill is it has been used so very much that a lot of strains of bacteria have now become immune to it.

I would take him back to the Vet today. It sounds as though he needs reassessment and possibly a change of antibiotic.

Baytril is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and is usually the first a Vet prescribes as it is actually Licensed for use in Rabbits, unlike many other abx. Vets legally have to adhere to a prescribing cascade

http://www.bsava.com/Advice/BSAVAGu...gcascadeandofflabeluse/tabid/360/Default.aspx

However, if Baytril is proving to be ineffective then the Vet can move on to another antibiotic. The client will normally be required to sign a disclaimer as the abx is probably unlicensed for Rabbits. This does NOT mean the abx is 'unsafe', just that no company will fund a costly licensing proces 'just' for Rabbits

I have many Rabbits who have been prescribed an injectable Penicillin for lower respiratory tract infections and all have responded well. There are other possible options too.

Good luck :)

Hi all...

Well he's not doing well. I'm going to take him to the vet straight after work tomorrow. I hope he can hang in there. He's still bouncing and eating. No eye or nose discharge, sneezing or mouth breathing that I can see. But breathing definately v. labored. So worried :cry:

Hi all...

Well he's not doing well. I'm going to take him to the vet straight after work tomorrow. I hope he can hang in there. He's still bouncing and eating. No eye or nose discharge, sneezing or mouth breathing that I can see. But breathing definately v. labored. So worried :cry:

I would discuss getting a chest Xray ASAP. If the Vet feels he is too high risk for a GA then an attempt at obtaining at least one view from a conscious Xray may be possible

More vibes being sent.

I would discuss getting a chest Xray ASAP. If the Vet feels he is too high risk for a GA then an attempt at obtaining at least one view from a conscious Xray may be possible

More vibes being sent.

Thanks. She did suggest doing that next. I can't bear it. :cry:

I fully understand your anxiety. But try not to think the worst. At least he is obviously not feeling ill within himself xx

He's having a littl groom beside me as I type. He only ever grooms when hes quite relaxed so I take that as quite a good sign. I was so desperate to do SOME thing that I just made a makeshift nebulizer out of his carry box, a towel and a pan of boiling water with a drop of my herbal decongestant in it. He wasn't happy about it and kept gnawing the bars (which meant the steam was going up his nose beautifully) and now he's been doing a few little movements like coughs and a couple of wimpy sneezes. Hopefully it'll help. The thing thats been the most worrying is the fact he's showing no inclination to shift what's in his lungs at all....

Thanks so much6 for your help!! I'm just scaring myself stupid googling stuff! :(

Back