• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

upset tummy query

pirotess69

Young Bun
Hello,

Just wanted some info regarding Pieces's upset tum - a few days ago she stopped pooing/eating and was in pain and was prescribed some medicine by a vet (painkillers + gut stimulants)... as well as recovery food. She is now a lot better and is eating on her own.

The medicine was given to her orally by a syringe and she is a very good girl for slurping it all like a champ. The vet gave us enough meds for 5 days and I was just wondering if I should continue with giving her meds until it's gone - even though she seems fully recovered. I think upset tums and possible stasis is quite a common thing but never happened to me before so I thought I would ask you guys. Do you usually continue with the medicine even after bunny has recovered, just to me sure?

Thanks!

Emilia

I'd phone your vet and ask. My vet has in the past asked me to continue the painkiller for a few days afterwards.

I see... I think I will continue over weekend - my vet is closed but they did suggest that it's for 5 days so I guess I will continue just to be sure.

Yes I would keep going for 5 days at least, if bun has by then returned to eating, drinking and exercising as usual and poops are big, golden and there are plenty of them and has been like this for a couple of days then I would stop. If in any doubt about buns return to normal I would continue meds ad let the vet know, he may suggest another check over.

I will do! Pieces is lively and hopping around as normal now, but her poops still aren't the greatest - quite dark and small - will keep giving her medicine until Monday. She loves it anyway, thinking they all must be quite sweet! Thanks again :)

Back