• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance excess for 7 year old

weedug

Mama Doe
Mr Bubble is 7 now, and his insurance policy has just started a new year. He has been with PetPlan since he was a baby.

The excess is now £100+20%, which I thought was a bit much. Anyone else have an older animal insured, and is this the normal? I'm getting worried I might end up with a bill at some point that I can't pay.

Heather is 10 and hers is £65 I think, she's with PAH. The problem we all have with the older ones is that you can't change provider at that age, so you've either got to accept it or cancel and hope for the best. Tricky one really isn't it.

My smudge is 6 and hers has just gone up to £100 , parsley is only 4 and his has gone up to £75

Mr Bubble is 7 now, and his insurance policy has just started a new year. He has been with PetPlan since he was a baby.

The excess is now £100+20%, which I thought was a bit much. Anyone else have an older animal insured, and is this the normal? I'm getting worried I might end up with a bill at some point that I can't pay.

Well, your post made me check my policies:
My two are with PetPlancover for life

Bobby will be 6 in March 2013 - excess is £80 (a couple of claims since I had him)
Sable is just 5 - excess is £65 (no claims)
I don't recall anything about an additional percentage to be paid on each claim?

Monthly premium is near enough £27.

Does make you wonder, sometimes, whether it would be better to save the premiums every month and cancel insurance but I'm scared to - just in case.

Last edited:
The percentage thing is just going to start, it says because he is now 7. His excess last year was £95. The actual premiums are £15.

I know I'm stuck with them, as I don't want to do without insurance. It's just going to be a constant worry in case I need to pay a large amount out, and I'm worried if the percentage will keep increasing each year.

Back