• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

Honey Monster

Young Bun
Hi All

A last ditch attempt to save my little Honey...have posted elsewhere about her but since last night she has gone downhill.

Thought I was going to lose her as she was repeatedly dry sneezying and choking/coughing and she and I were really distressed :( Phoned the emergency vet and he advised steam but that there was no real treatment that he could offer because of the snuffles/mucous that was causing her retching. It was just awful.

She calmed down a lot though and had a quiet night, but she is still making the retching noise a lot. She has also developed a very poopy bum, it's in a mess and trying my best to clean it but it's really hard as she has long hair.

Basically she has this snuffles/congestion because of teeth problems, which she is due to have x-rayed next week but in the meantime she has these horrendous symptoms.

I really think this might be the end of the road for her and am devastated. Taking her to the vets later this morning and he is going to look over her and we were going to possibly try bisolvon, but he has warned that this may push the infection down into her lungs and make her develop pneumonia.

Can anyone advise regarding bisolvon, or anything at all? Will so anything I can to save her but I am really really struggling right now. Tried steam which seemed to help a little with her breathing and she has already been on baytril and docycycline both of which have helped to some degree, but she is not currently on any antibiotic.

Please, if anyone has any advice before half eleven today when I go to the vets can they let me know.

Thank you x

Hopefully someone like Jane will be along with some useful suggestions. If she doesn't spot this, I'm sure she won't mind if you PM her, Jack's-Jane.

Sorry to hear about Honey.

I have Bisolvon for one of my buns, and there was no mention of it causing any problems. It's been a great help in getting rid of the mucous.

Sending loads of vibes

Thank you guys xx

The vet said re. bisolvon it won't do much for the nose and works on lower respiratory or something because it waters down the mucous so there could be an increased chance of it going to her lungs. It kinda made sense when he explained it to me, but I know that others have tried bisolvon before with some success so I just wondered if practical experience here meant taking a risk was worth it. He said earlier that we could try it as a last ditch attempt.

PM'd Jack's Jane :)

We have little nethie with similar problems - we nebulise twice a day with bislovon AND F10 (anti bacterial) does her the world of good - makes such a difference. When she is at her very best the vet also risks flushing the nostrils to ensure no dried snot stuck up them.

The F10 has been a lifeline

It may be that she now also has some infection on her lungs so getting her to the Vet today, as you are doing, is certainly essential

I agree that nebulising F10 may be helpful. If the Vet could flush the nasolacrimal ducts clear some Tiacil Eye drops could be used. As long as the nasolacrimal ducts are draining (which they may not be if tooth root elongation is an issue) then the Tiacil should get into the nasal passages and the abx and anti-inflammatory in the Tiacil will work directly on the source of infection as opposed to acting systemically via the blood stream.

Nebulising would need to be done at least 3 times a day and for at least half an hour at a time.

Sorry this reply is rushed, I have to be elsewhere now

Lots of vibes for Honey xx

...and can I suggest you write people's suggestions down, because I always forget by the time I get to the vet!

Just done that! Thank you x I will take them to the vets and see. Honey is brighter just now in herself little sweetheart so that's positive.

Thank you all for your suggestions :) I am concerned too that the infection might have spread to her lungs/chest. I don't know if/how they can treat that...

yes they can treat that - various abx - Thistle has injected penicillin (CANNOT be given orally to rabbits) when at her worst or Baytril -

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. I was wondering how you got on yesterday, and now really hope that you can let us know later how Honey is. I was given Bisolven for Roger when he actually had pneumonia, and it really did help him. She definately needs to go on antibiotics now though doesn't she. Can her x-rays etc not be done sooner, as time is really going to be off the essence here isn't it. The vets in Edinburgh look absolutely amazing but I really think they need to hurry along her treatment. You know my offer still stands, as because of the urgency of this I am sure he would admit her, take the x-rays and do whatever work was needed on the same day. I have literally just said a prayer for Honey and am sure that she can be helped, just that that help now needs to be a bit quicker forthcoming. Could they not admit her into Edinburgh today, take x-rays, and crack on with the surgery??

Honey at peace

Hi All

Thank you so much for all your support and suggestions.

Honey was helped to pass away today about 12 at the vets - the vet was very worried about her, said that her breathing rate was very dangerous (not helped by car/vet anxiety) and whilst she was not in any pain she had also lost more weight, was struggling with her poopy bottom and any treatment wouldn't have prolonged things for very much longer at all (in terms of antibiotics etc). He also said he thought she had possibly aspirated something into her lungs (possibly when she choked on food a week or so ago) and that her chest was affected.

She just wouldn't have survived an anaesthetic for any more treatment, it was too dangerous.

I stayed while she was given an anaesthetic until she was asleep and said goodbye to her, will pick her little body up on Monday and bring her home to bury.

Right decision, but very tough.

Thanks again xxx

Am so very, very sorry for you. To be honest am in tears as well, as really hoped that Honey could be helped, but you did everything you could for her, and she couldn't have wished for a better 'bunny mummy'. I really hope you don't mind me saying this, but some people do and some people don't or haven't thought too, but I did trim off some of Roger's fur, and there are special lockets you can buy to keep either some fur or ashes in. Really don't want to upset you more, but at the same time didn't want you to be upset if you didn't think too, as I find a lot of comfort in having something physical from Roger in my locket that I wear all the time. Really hate to think of you in so much pain, but Honey couldn't have continued as she was, and so you did the last kindest thing that you could have for her. Am sure Roger will already have found such a beautiful bunny X

Hi All

Thank you so much for all your support and suggestions.

Honey was helped to pass away today about 12 at the vets - the vet was very worried about her, said that her breathing rate was very dangerous (not helped by car/vet anxiety) and whilst she was not in any pain she had also lost more weight, was struggling with her poopy bottom and any treatment wouldn't have prolonged things for very much longer at all (in terms of antibiotics etc). He also said he thought she had possibly aspirated something into her lungs (possibly when she choked on food a week or so ago) and that her chest was affected.

She just wouldn't have survived an anaesthetic for any more treatment, it was too dangerous.

I stayed while she was given an anaesthetic until she was asleep and said goodbye to her, will pick her little body up on Monday and bring her home to bury.

Right decision, but very tough.

Thanks again xxx

You have given Honey a final gift of love, to allow her spirit to be released from her very sick body.

Binky Free Honey xx

Back