• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay grunting and no poo

emz281

Young Bun
Help! My 2yr old mini lop had her spay yesterday at around 3.30pm, about 14hrs ago. She's eaten some cucumber and some basil leaves. No poo yet :( The wound looks good but she is grunting :'( Vet didn't give me any metacam as he said she has had a anti pain injection that lasts 24-48hrs. Poor little girl. Post check up is Monday morning but I will take her in tomorrow if no poo by the morning. And will also ask for metacam and a syringe! When did your buns start pooing again?

Update

Called the emergency vets just now, they told me to pick up a recovery pack to syringe feed her (was told can get at vets or pet store). Also said I could give her 1.5kg of the cat metacam at 10am once a day. I asked about giving pineapple juice and the vet said be careful with giving too much as it can cause diarrhea.
She is not eating this morning (have tried a wide variety of fruit, herbs, grass, veg, carrots etc...). I've syringed her some water (not much goes in does it!). Also she has had a wee but no poop :( The emergency vets said she might be gassy after the Local Anesthetic wearing off, hence the reason for the grunting.
Poor little Button! :cry:

Help! My 2yr old mini lop had her spay yesterday at around 3.30pm, about 14hrs ago. She's eaten some cucumber and some basil leaves. No poo yet :( The wound looks good but she is grunting :'( Vet didn't give me any metacam as he said she has had a anti pain injection that lasts 24-48hrs. Poor little girl. Post check up is Monday morning but I will take her in tomorrow if no poo by the morning. And will also ask for metacam and a syringe! When did your buns start pooing again?

My tigerlilly had her spay 8 days ago and shes now in the midst of gut stasis and has been since last sunday wont eat and not really poohing so ive been syringe feeding her rabbit recovery and metacam since sunday and shes had 3 gut stimulant jabs and zantac and im giving her gut stimulant and zantac twice a day at home,at six this morning there was a couple of poohs but she still not interested in food ive raised the metacam dose yesterday and she dosnt seem in any pain its just her tummy thats not working right yet poor thing ,its all rumbly and gassy and its moving around on its own,so when i get home at lunch ill get her in the garden for some exercise with her neutered but still horny dad, he will just constantly hassle her, that will get her moving,i would def get your bun back to your vets and ask for metacam as a spay must be terribly painfull for them,keep an eye on them poohs if shes not by today shes may need a gut stimulant.
Goodluck hun let us know how it goes.

If she were my bun, I would want her seen by a vet, and given a gut stimulant, etc, if she is eating nothing at all.

Update

My tigerlilly had her spay 8 days ago and shes now in the midst of gut stasis and has been since last sunday wont eat and not really poohing so ive been syringe feeding her rabbit recovery and metacam since sunday and shes had 3 gut stimulant jabs and zantac and im giving her gut stimulant and zantac twice a day at home,at six this morning there was a couple of poohs but she still not interested in food ive raised the metacam dose yesterday and she dosnt seem in any pain its just her tummy thats not working right yet poor thing ,its all rumbly and gassy and its moving around on its own,so when i get home at lunch ill get her in the garden for some exercise with her neutered but still horny dad, he will just constantly hassle her, that will get her moving,i would def get your bun back to your vets and ask for metacam as a spay must be terribly painfull for them,keep an eye on them poohs if shes not by today shes may need a gut stimulant.
Goodluck hun let us know how it goes.

That's awful Toffee Pops, I hope Tiggerlilly starts eating on her own soon. I don't know how you manage to get any liquid/food in their mouths syringe feeding, most of it goes on the floor! :(

I syringed her a bit more water about an hour ago and discovered 3 poos to my absolute delight! I very gently massaged her sides and gave her strokies. She then ate 2 basil leaves :D Went down stairs for 40mins, and have come back upstairs just now to the most wonderful thing!!!! There must be about 20 poos in her litter tray!

I will go to the vets at 1 when they open and get some Metacam and some sort of fibre/recovery sachets incase I need them. Will give the Metacam daily.

Will keep all posted. Thank you so much for the advice...vets don't seem to offer much info and didn't send me home with anything for her.

That's awful Toffee Pops, I hope Tiggerlilly starts eating on her own soon. I don't know how you manage to get any liquid/food in their mouths syringe feeding, most of it goes on the floor! :(

I syringed her a bit more water about an hour ago and discovered 3 poos to my absolute delight! I very gently massaged her sides and gave her strokies. She then ate 2 basil leaves :D Went down stairs for 40mins, and have come back upstairs just now to the most wonderful thing!!!! There must be about 20 poos in her litter tray!

I will go to the vets at 1 when they open and get some Metacam and some sort of fibre/recovery sachets incase I need them. Will give the Metacam daily.

Will keep all posted. Thank you so much for the advice...vets don't seem to offer much info and didn't send me home with anything for her.
Oh well done
Its amazing isnt it how the sight of a big pile of rabbit poohs can make a rabbit owner scream in delight :thumb:

I know right? usually I'm like ''for god's sake, how can one little bunny poo so much?!''. Hopefully she is on the mend and will be ok.

Update - day 3

Button is happy to eat more now. Last night OH brought over some carrots and spring greens, and to my surprise she yommed these up, as she didn't eat the basil that was in her cage.
She's eaten basil and spring greens this morning. Lots of poos and a wee in her litter tray. She is still off hay and pellets, and I haven't seen her drink at all. I'm guessing she is getting enough water through the veg.
She has perked right up and being inquisitive and cute. The grunting/huffling has stopped since yesterday afternoon. I gave her Metacam last night .2 measure. The OH helped by having her on his lap, couldn't have done it easily otherwise!
All in all I am much happier with her condition. She will go for a post opp check Monday morning. Bless her cotton socks! :D

Update - day 10

Hello everyone! Button has seemed to have made a full recovery! Hooray! I am now slowly reintroducing her to her husbun, I've set up a run attached to a dog crate, so they can socialize through the bars. Vet didn't mention when I can let Button have free roam again so I have a look to see if I can find info on the forum. I'm very happy with her recovery, it took her a while to start eating and pooping again as normal, it was so worrying. She's a tough cookie though :D

Hello everyone! Button has seemed to have made a full recovery! Hooray! I am now slowly reintroducing her to her husbun, I've set up a run attached to a dog crate, so they can socialize through the bars. Vet didn't mention when I can let Button have free roam again so I have a look to see if I can find info on the forum. I'm very happy with her recovery, it took her a while to start eating and pooping again as normal, it was so worrying. She's a tough cookie though :D

Oh well done button and you offcourse:D

Thank you Toffee Pops. **Binky** And how is Tigerlilly doing now?
Its such a blessing to have her with us i thought i was going to lose her,she is currently poohing and binkying everywhere in our lounge.
Thx for asking after her.

uh003_zps773cf1db.jpg
[/IMG]
uh005_zps73162d11.jpg
[/IMG]

Such a beauuuutiful bunny! So great that she is doing ok, it was all your hard work that saved her so well done!

Back