• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Injury and Recovery - **WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS**

I've been thinking that I've had so much help and support from this forum and the people on it that I'd like to give something back.
As most of the longer term forumers know I first came on here after our Mr Bingley lost an eye and I was trying to treat the infection that had developed around the packing.
After a lot of treatment we got it under control and I was so grateful to everyone.
Unfortunately, Bingley recently sustained an injury to his good eye and we were expecting the worst again and trying to read up on how to care for a blind bunny. However, our vets were fantastic and he's really coming on with some sight regained :D
So, I''ve been taking pics so the vet and I can chart his progress so I thought I'd use these and what treatment was being used and considered on each one and the timescale so anyone whose bunny gets an injury can see that with perseverance it can make, if not a full, a good recovery. I thought it might give comfort to someone who, like me, came to the forum in an absolute panic.

PLEASE BE WARNED SOME OF THESE PHOTOS ARE A BIT YUCK - Sorry

IMAG1172.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken on 12/11/2012 - the Monday after it happened on the Friday. We took him in on the Friday morning with the injury. We think it happened sometime during the night. The ulcer is very evident and the dye completely flouresced over the eye when applied so severe damage. Immediate debrasion of the ulcer, Tiacil applied and antibiotic injection given. We were given Metacam to administer twice daily, Baytril to administer twice daily and Tiacil to give drops at least 6 times daily.

IMAG1180.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Wed 14/11/12 - ulcer has retreated slightly, no longer as red. Vet advises no need for removal yet as original cut has healed and can keep administering Tiacil 6 times daily along with ABX and Metacam. Still need to prepare ourselves for possible removal though.

IMAG1188.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Fri 16/11/12 - ulcer still retreating and some sloughing off surface now. You can see blood vessels starting to build around the edge of the ulcer meaning the cornea is starting to heal itself. Vet happy with progress and removal much less likely. Still following above regime with meds.

IMAG1194.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Tue 20/11/12 - much more evidence of blood vessels to the area around the ulcer and more sloughing off. At this point we are using Tiacil and Eye Sooth as well as the eye sooth acts as a contact lens to protect the eye. Still keeping up with 5 times a day drops, Tiacil first and then the eye sooth 30 mins later. We've dropped his Metacam to once daily and the Baytril to once daily.

IMAG1198.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Sun 25/11/12 - Ulcer now very much reduced and definitely shrinking. Still have to make sure it doesn't rupture but it is confirmed the eye is sound in itself and he may have some sight of light and dark. Same regime as above but he's now on injectable Ceporex but this is for mild snuffles he's developed. Believe at this point on a non snuffles bun the ABX would be withdrawn and just antibiotic in Tiacil would suffice.

IMAG1200.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Sat 01/12/12 - Much more sloughing now and pupil is now visible behind some hazing. Pupil now dilating more and it is believed more sight has been restored. Eye dye no longer flourescing so all new tissue is healthy. Tiacil and Eye Sooth now three times a day and Metacam reduced.

IMAG1206.jpg
[/IMG]
Taken Fri 07/12/12 - Almost all healed. In next few days all the rest should slough off. Will keep up Tiacil and Eye Sooth 3 times daily and will update page again soon.

Really hope this is helpful. He's been so good with all his meds and it is so good to know he has the chance of recovering a good amount of sight now :D

Thankyou for sharing this, I actually really like graphic medical pictures, they have so much to teach, in a way that words probably couldn't. Poor soul has really been through the mill, so it's extra good to see how well he is recovering.
Thankyou again!

Thanks Kermit and Crunchie :) He's done so well and been very patient with his drops and things ... he's certainly got a good amount of vision f2f back as he's back to mountaineering on the sofa again :love:

Thankyou for sharing this, I actually really like graphic medical pictures, they have so much to teach, in a way that words probably couldn't. Poor soul has really been through the mill, so it's extra good to see how well he is recovering.
Thankyou again!

Phew, I was worried I might upset people :oops: but I hoped that if someone saw quite a bad injury then if the awful happened and their bun got the same it would help with the panic, it was an awful feeling when we found him like that.

Back