• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When the bunny babies go...

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
Are they okay to live outdoors on their own at 8weeks+ old? If so will a snugglesafe/Hay/Straw be enough to keep them warm without their brothers or sisters?

Do I suggest that the new owners keep them indoors until Spring?

At mine they are currently living outdoors in the shed.

I just want to make sure I am suggesting the best for the babies for when they are taken away and it looks like no one wants to take any as a pair :(

Thank you :wave:

Last edited:
Rabbits shouldn't really be rehomed to live alone, the Rabbit Welfare Association advises that living alone causes high stress levels. Single rabbits also suffer more in the cold as they dont have a friend to cuddle up to.

If I were you, I wouldnt rehome any to live alone, especially not outdoors where they wont get as much human interaction and will be in sub-zero temperatures without a friend. I'd rehome them in pairs, or to live with the person's current rabbit(s), but not alone.

I don't think I'd be letting them go until after christmas (put off the people that just want a cute animal for christmas) but if they weren't going to be bonded quickly I'd probably want them indoors

I don't want to rehome them alone but thought I would ask here first if they can live outside alone at that age as I didn't think this would be acceptable. Or to suggest the single rabbit be an indoor rabbit.

I am trying to rehome them in pairs definitely, I just wanted everyones advice on indoor or outdoor due to the weather :wave:

One rabbit is going to join someone elses indoor rabbit in their conservatory so fingers cross for him- I have already been told they can seperate the two should they not get along.

I just wanted advice on the others that do not have confirmed homes yet. Plus I am going to make sure whoever has them can look after them. If they can't I will be keeping them with me until I find responsible owners and have already been looking into buying more outdoor accommodation or converting my own conservatory for them after Christmas in the meantime :thumb:

I don't want to rehome them alone but thought I would ask here first if they can live outside alone at that age as I didn't think this would be acceptable. Or to suggest the single rabbit be an indoor rabbit.

I am trying to rehome them in pairs definitely, I just wanted everyones advice on indoor or outdoor due to the weather :wave:

One rabbit is going to join someone elses indoor rabbit in their conservatory so fingers cross for him- I have already been told they can seperate the two should they not get along.

I just wanted advice on the others that do not have confirmed homes yet. Plus I am going to make sure whoever has them can look after them. If they can't I will be keeping them with me until I find responsible owners and have already been looking into buying more outdoor accommodation or converting my own conservatory for them after Christmas in the meantime :thumb:

I second Georgie's suggestion, definately don't sell any until January, to prevent them becoming Christmas presents that will be bored of in a few months.

The conservatory home sounds good, but find out what type of conservatory it is if they are going to be in there year-round. The ones with a lot of glass can reach lethal temperatures extremely quickly in Spring and Summer. So if they have one of these, they will have to be able to house the rabbits somewhere else in the warmer months.

Be careful about rehoming them singly, someone may have a single rabbit to have as a house bunny, but then once they realise the reality of the poo and hay everywhere, and the destruction that they can cause, they may move it outside. Even if they wait till April to do this (which is the earliest time indoor bunnies can be put out), the rabbit will still be alone outside, lonely.

I have a single bun and wouldn't put him outside, so as people above have said I'd say don't rehome them to outdoor hutches I think they'd be cold without full shelter from the elements like they have in your shed.

Thank you for all your responses guys! I thought outdoor would be a bad idea for a bun on its own which you have all confirmed for me.

Looks like they will be staying at mine for longer then expected but they get spoilt with me :love:

Back