• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tramadol: anyone use it frequently (for rabbit)

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Is there a reason why a rabbit shouldn't have tramadol on an almost daily basis (if the cause of the pain cannot be 'removed')?

What are side effects etc?

and also would it be 'better'/different to just up the metacam dose or does it work differently?

Last edited:
I think Sky-O used it for over a week with Sandy during her obstruction/impaction :wave:

When metacam just wasn't enough even at a high dose.

We're also going to be getting some for Ginger, for when she has an episode, as metacam isn't enough then either.

Sorry, that doesn't really help much does it?

Is there a reason why a rabbit shouldn't have tramadol on an almost daily basis (if the cause of the pain cannot be 'removed')?

What are side effects etc?

and also would it be 'better'/different to just up the metacam dose or does it work differently?

I would imagine it would be due to the potential Liver toxicity

But if it is being used for a Rabbit with a Terminal Illness who has pain that is not being controlled by anything else then really the potential LT risks are irrelevant. Quality of the remaining life of the Rabbit is what matters so I would rather the Rabbit had ongoing Tramadol if that was the only analgesic that helped. I would accept the potential risks.

I've used it in long term 'on the edge' bunnies. Lightning has a large mandibular abscess and the Tramadol has helped him return to 'normal' and live his life in his normal, cheeky fashion. He's been on it two months and counting. Done that with another couple of abscess bunnies too, but not for as long.

I've not seen any visible side effects- it's only helped, and I also find it seems to start to work very quickly.

I agree with Jane. I use it as a 'quality over quantity' drug and and wouldn't change using it. I use it when needed, but if that means there is a chance the bunny will have a shorter life due to the med use, I'd rather that than a longer life, but in pain.

I've used it in long term 'on the edge' bunnies. Lightning has a large mandibular abscess and the Tramadol has helped him return to 'normal' and live his life in his normal, cheeky fashion. He's been on it two months and counting. Done that with another couple of abscess bunnies too, but not for as long.

I've not seen any visible side effects- it's only helped, and I also find it seems to start to work very quickly.

I agree with Jane. I use it as a 'quality over quantity' drug and and wouldn't change using it. I use it when needed, but if that means there is a chance the bunny will have a shorter life due to the med use, I'd rather that than a longer life, but in pain.

Agree 100%

Thank you for that helpful advice and input.

We have discovered that yesterday when Parsley had his ear cleaned the (junior) vet nurse who did it mistook some exposed white cartiledge for pus and squeezed rather too much to try and get it out :shock::shock: and then didnt realise that not eating very much was a HUGE pain sign for Parsley (who will eat a bucket of greens a day even at the vets).

He has been in again today and has proper clean and some ketamin to go with it - he finds his ear pinnas very sensitive and always reacts badly to even small swellings in them (as opposed to the 2cm diam ball of puss in his head which he totally ignores:shock:)

The vet is actually happier with him now than she was a couple of days ago when she was concerned the infection in the bulla might be coming back (after removal of bulla this can happen and it swells in other places) as we had pus low down in pinna/head area . . . though he still has a worrying swelling in the lymph node and has not had his bloods redone to see if anaemia any improved. But one thing at a time . . .

Thank you for that helpful advice and input.

We have discovered that yesterday when Parsley had his ear cleaned the (junior) vet nurse who did it mistook some exposed white cartiledge for pus and squeezed rather too much to try and get it out :shock::shock: and then didnt realise that not eating very much was a HUGE pain sign for Parsley (who will eat a bucket of greens a day even at the vets).

He has been in again today and has proper clean and some ketamin to go with it - he finds his ear pinnas very sensitive and always reacts badly to even small swellings in them (as opposed to the 2cm diam ball of puss in his head which he totally ignores:shock:)

The vet is actually happier with him now than she was a couple of days ago when she was concerned the infection in the bulla might be coming back (after removal of bulla this can happen and it swells in other places) as we had pus low down in pinna/head area . . . though he still has a worrying swelling in the lymph node and has not had his bloods redone to see if anaemia any improved. But one thing at a time . . .

Poor boy, what an awful time he is having. He must have been in so much pain :cry:

Back