• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible VHD :'(

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My beautiful holly was found dead yesterday when I got home from work. She had been so happy to see me yesterday morning. It was so sudden and I am still in shock, I can't quite believe it. She has a weight loss issue that started a couple of months ago where she was eating a lot but losing weight. I had multiple tests done and all seemed ok. The vet suspected E. cunniculi and put her on panacure and she was really doing well on it and was almost finished with her 28 day course. The vet was really happy with her wieght gain last time he saw her a few weeks agoand she never looked or acted ill.

I found her with a small amount of blood coming out of her nose. I took her in to vaccinate her 2 weeks ago and the vet wanted to wait until her panacure was finished so she didn't get too stressed and now I'm terrified that she's died from VHD. Does anyone know what I should do???

Logan, her room mate, was vaccinated 2 weeks ago but my two outside buns are not done yet and are booked in today for theirs. I'm scared to go near them incase I spread it to them. I feel so broken and panicked.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

How terribly heartbreaking for you! Regarding the other bunnies, what I would do is ensure that I have a totally clean change of clothing on, clothes that are washed and have not been worn since washing near the deceased bunny when you go to them. Also, the same with your shoes, do not wear the same shoes that you wore in the vicinity of dear Holly.
Ask your vet (ring in advance) if he would be willing to do a basic post mortem on Holly so you know if it was VHD. In the meantime, and I know this is so hard to do as I have had to do this in the past with a pet bird, but wrap her up well in a couple of plastic bags, tape it up, place in another plastic bag, seal it and refridgerate her. I know, I KNOW it sounds awful, but if her body is kept chilled, the post mortem results are so much easier to obtain if you can bear to go along this route. The refridgeration helps prevent deterioration.
I am so sorry for your loss xx

Oh no, I'm so sorry :cry: Had she been vaccinated before? If not, the new vaccine takes 3 weeks to become effective, so it's possible it was VHD :cry: Can you get a post mortem done? Binky free Holly xx

Oh no :cry:

It does sound horribly like VHD I am afraid :cry:

Can you get a PM done to confirm ?

I am really sorry for your loss :cry:

Thanks for all your advice and replies everyone.

I took her in to the vets last night and asked for a post mortem. They were't sure what it would cost so I left her with them and waited for them to look into the price and procedure. When they rang back they said it would cost almost £300 for the post mortem, plus another £120 for cremation. I just can't afford that much :( So I've opted for just the cremation and I will act like it was VHD for the safety of my other buns. The vet said it looks like it is VHD but of course we can't be certain without a pm :(

At the moment, Mork and Bronwyn are being taken care of by my partner and I'm taking care of Logan as I don't want to risk going into Hollys old room and spreading it to them. I have washed all my clothes and the blankets from her room on a high heat with disinfectant. I am also thinking of removing the carpet as well. It is nibbled by the door anyway and I've been meaning to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how long the virus lasts in the environment by any chance? As for Holly being vaccinated, she has been done in the past but it has been postponed a month or two ago when she was losing weight and then again a couple of weeks ago just to be on the safe side :cry: If only we'd taken the risk with the vaccine she might still be with us

Poor Logan has taken it very hard, he wont come out from behind his sofa and seems very scared and sad :( The house feels empty without her.

:cry: You did the right thing by waiting until she was well enough to vaccinate, buns need to be in good health for the vaccine to work properly, so please don't feel bad about that. It's just incredibly bad luck :cry: I don't know how long VHD hangs around, but it sounds like you're taking all the precautions you can. I'd get rid of the carpet too. Really hope your other buns will be OK xx

Back