• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you ever dared work out how much you've spent on the bunnies?!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
I just worked out how much they have cost me approximatly :lol: (major vet bills, vaccinations, housing, adoption fees and cremation cost ONLY!)

£2450 :shock:

That isn't including, consultation fees, food, hay, straw, toys, litter, litter trays, beds, bowls, grooming equipment, towels, small vet fees like minor stasis episodes or petrol to run them around :shock:

I have spent nearly £1000 in 2 months since we got Floppy.( and Willow)

£200 - hutch
£200 - 2 runs
£250 - new hut
£100 - to assemble same
£50- tarpaulin and polythene
£300 for vets bills, hay and goodies, donation to Fairly Beloved for rehoming

oh forgot - £220 per year pet insurance

scary stuff when you add it up. Fairly puts it into perspective that having a bunny is NOT a cheap option as it portrayed.....

Last edited:
I have a rough idea in my spreadsheet for the past couple of years. About £2000 on vets and £300 on food/hay/megazorb (when I used it). That's from memory, I may be way off, my brain stopped working about lunchtime.

I know how much our boys have cost since we got them due to oldest dd having to do a homework about it.

A huge £2500 :shock: in four months. No wonder my hubby has a heart attack every time i say the rabbits need :lol:

Ahhh, these cheap and easy bunnies ;)

No idea, I have my book with receipts and this year it's (only:shock:) been just over £1500 for all 4 of them.

Donny and Lola have only cost me under £100 vet wise really, Lola's spay and their vaccinations. Also £50 donation to FatFluffs for bonding them :) They have also had a few check ups. Their shed was £200 and kitting it out was about £60 in the end :)

Poppy and Leo are the expensive ones :lol: vaccination, check ups, dentals, medicine, tear duct flushing etc :p etc etc etc :lol:

No! It's definitely in the £4000 mark though :shock:

Then I have Toby who costs approx £70/month and the guineas. Oh dear ....

Over 14 years

Hutches, indoors and out about £1200.00 including snuggle covers and accessories. (Made £300.00 reselling, especially the eglu). :oops:

Whats 14 years of vacs ? Guessing £700.00

Food, no idea. £200 a year x 14 += £2,800.00

Nancy's 2 major ops about £1000.00 other illness £700.00 = £1700.00

Cutie-pies spay and a couple of emergency dashes about £300.00, not paid by insurance, as under the excess.

Nail clipping say £100.00 at the vets over 10 years.

Not going to include what I have had back on insurance.

Cremation :cry: about £350.00.

Toys accessories, bottles etc £300.00

Forgot insurance for the last 2 years is about £500.00.

Total £7930,00.

:shock: But its been worth it. :love:

Never dared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just aswell that I'm not one for treating myself much at all.

I'd rather help mine and other furry friends.

I think - and this is a very rough estimate - about £2,100 this year since February for both little beasties. I'm not including replacing TV ariels, phone charges and mouses.:) Or new carpets because they don't like wooden floors..:roll: Or Bobo's kennel which he doesn't use. Or their snuggly beds which they don't use. I keep on remembering things - probably best forgotten...:D

BUT - I would easily have spent that amount on going out, and going away for weekends which we just don't do anymore - so it's more or less evened out and I've got 2 happy little critters to show for it.

I'm not calling them sweetie pies today as they were both in exceptionally naughty moods last night - right little horrors :evil: ... but love them anyway...:love:

Poppetts snuffles bill for only a few months has cost me about £800.
I dont want to think about vaccs and consultation fees, then add the other fours vaccs to the equation and monthly dental checks..
Then food hay toys and Fleecy blankets, oh and replacing clothes poppetts chewed holes in..........

im not even wanting to guess!:shock:

Damage, I forgot about damage. I think most people know about Mr Bennett.

One bedroom carpet, the built in wardrobes, shoes, leather jacket, 2 dressing gowns, belt, jeans, a few tops, my handbag, videos, curtains and books to name a few. :lol: Three cables, an extension cord, nearly the hoover, mattress and duvet.

About another £1000.00 if you go by replacement value.

The other 2 ruined the other carpet, the skirtlings, door frames, curtains and bed. Now that is another few hundred pounds.

Don't mention the chinchillas.:lol::lol:

Gosh you all spend a lot, perhaps I'm a terrible bunny owner but other than the one-off costs of housing I only spend on pellets and hay and the occasional treats and toys. Then there's the vaccinations/health checks and vets appointments if needed, but even with Harry at his worst I only spent around £350 in a year on him, and he never went without vet care because I wouldn't pay for it.

Gosh you all spend a lot, perhaps I'm a terrible bunny owner but other than the one-off costs of housing I only spend on pellets and hay and the occasional treats and toys. Then there's the vaccinations/health checks and vets appointments if needed, but even with Harry at his worst I only spent around £350 in a year on him, and he never went without vet care because I wouldn't pay for it.

A lot of these numbers are probably from multiple bunnies over multiple years. I don't spend a lot on food; hay and pellets is a tenner a month, greens free and just the occasional bought treats.

My biggest expense is vet bills so I put some money aside each fortnight and build a nest egg in a seperate account.

Back