• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny weeing everywhere

Hi all

My bunny Jack is being a nightmare lately. We've had him for nearly 3 years, we move last 12 months ago and he settled in well. He is a lucky bun and has the run of the kitchen/ lobby area during the day, and it shut in the lobby area at night with his cage with litter tray, water/food. Over the past week, he has being weeing all over the place. He does go in his box, but then after one he just doesn't bother! Some days when i come home I'm greeting to a puddle by the bin, and again today, I've cleaned up 3 wees in various places and poops everywhere. Where ever he sits/ gets comfy he seems to wee, he's then just sitting in it. :roll: Should i consider shutting him in his cage?

I tried showing him his litter box when i catch him doing it as i thought it could be a bad litter box habit as i changed his litter brand a few weeks ago. but this doesn't seem to be working. I looked up UTI, but he is eating fine (pellets and greens) and drinking plenty.He wee is normal colour, and he is still as cheeky and inquisitive as normal like nothing is wrong.

I'm worried now as he's wet again, as I'm not always here to clean him this can't be good for him. :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Is Jack neutered? Where do you put his hay?

He isn't neutered no, when he went for his last check up around 3 months ago the vet said as he's on his own there wouldn't be much benefit. His hay is in the corner of his main box (cage base) by his litter tray, I don't think he eats enough hay to be honest but its always there when he wants it.

I would certainly recommend neutering him.

As for hay, it should be the main part of his diet - 80-90% - and I suggest very gradually reducing his pellets if he is having more than about an eggcupful a day. This is for the health of his teeth and his tum. HayforPets do a sample pack for free (just pay postage) so you could introduce some variety and see which he prefers.

You could also try putting hay in his litter tray, which may encourage him to use it - they often like to pee and eat at the same time!

Rabbits are usually happier and more settled when with a companion so, once neutered, you could perhaps approach a rescue with a view to bonding him with a neutered female.

A vet check would be an idea, to rule out any health issues (particularly his teeth as he is not a good hay eater).

Puddles of pee are no fun - so good luck!

Back