• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

old bunny feeling the cold

amme

Warren Scout
I cleaned my rabbits out today and put them outside in the run whilst i cleaned out the shed. Whilst i was doing this i noticed my old rex bunny was shivering! Is this normal? he doesnt like being outside at the best of times and is always snuggled up in the hutch in the hay whenever i go down to see him

No it isn't normal he is obviously very cold. Would you not bring him inside, as he will become stressed if left cold, and then is more likely to become unwell.

I would be inclined to take him to the vets tbh, especially with him being older. I've never seen a rabbit shiver so wouldn't know. If you bring him inside he would have to stay inside until it's warmer next year.

Is he eating okay?

Shivering is not normal, so I would strongly advise a trip asap to see the vet to get your bunny checked out.

As already asked, could he come inside for the winter?

If not there are snugglesafes to help keep bunnies warm, plenty of hay and straw in hutch especially bed area, move into a shed to keep wind and rain off him, tarpaulin over his hutch to also keep off the elements, an old fleece for him to snuggle to...........................loads of ideas.

I hope he is okay and you manage to provide him with warmth and comfort one way or another.

shivering really isn't normal. Can't you bring him inside? especially with him being old as well, you don't want to risk anything happening. When the temperature dropped the other week, i noticed Princess was starting to get colder than usual ( even though she already lived in the porch :lol: ) so i decided to get one of those big indoor cages, have a look on eBay, I managed to pick mine up for £20 of coarse it's used but it's only for a few months, as soon as Easter comes back around she can go back to her normal home. so now, she is currently living in our living room (in the cage) and she absolutely loves it , it's a lot warmer for her!! as long as we clean it out every day it doesn't smell :thumb::thumb:

Bringing him inside will be too much of a shock to the system at this time I year. A trip to the vets tomorrow would be wise for a check up. A thick layer of straw will keep him warmer than hay, snuggle safes are also highly reccomended. If he lives with other bunnies they will keep him warm but it might be an idea to feed him plenty of treats separately to put some weight on him. wind chill can make a big difference in temperature there's probably quite a difference between hutch temp and outside.

Last edited:
Bringing him inside will be too much I a shock to the system at this time I year. A trip to the vets tomorrow would be wise for a check up. A thick layer of straw will keep him warmer than hay, snuggle safes are also highly reccomended. If he lives with other bunnies they will keep him warm but it might be an idea to feed him plenty of treats separately to put some weight on him. wind chill can make a big difference in temperature there's probably quite a difference between hutch temp and outside.

I don't agree that it would be too much of a shock to the system. It sounds as though he needs taking a bit more care of, now that he is quite an elderly bun. Hay is much softer and better as I would worry with straw, about eye injuries as it is much harder. Personally, I'm sure that if this bunny is going to get through this winter, his care needs to be changed so as to keep him warmer, and to be able to increase his feed as oppose to just feeding him lots of treats that wouldn't be good for him anyway.

it's been -4 outside and 18 in my house all night a change of 20C is enough to shock and kill a rabbit he will have his thick winter coat by now.

Straw is far more insulating than hay - they don't build houses out of hay. millions of people keep small furries and large on it and barley straw is not as corse as other types.

Sorry by treats I mean pellets and veg my bunnies don't get commercial treats and very few pellets. Normally older bunnies eat slower than young ones so it will be worth feeding him separately if you can.

Last edited:
Back