• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fibrosarcoma

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone had a Rabbit diagnosed with Fibrosarcoma ? I have only had one before and despite two op's the tumour kept regrowing. A common occurrence apparently. As the tumour was in his mouth it was not possible to save him :cry:

Chemotherapy/Radiotherapy would not be an option in my current situation, a tumour at the side of the mouth

Any accounts of other experiences of Fibrosarcoma would be welcome

I feel very alone :cry:

I don't have experience in rabbits...but my OH's bridge cat had squamous cell under his tongue and it was inoperable. He was too old to put through chemo or radio so we just had to enjoy the time he had and give him a dignified passing...which was very hard on the OH.
There's a brief discussion between bun mums here but not certain how much clinical info. You may have seen this already and if so, apologies:
http://www.bunspace.com/forum/thread?tid=15808&posts_tgp_no=last
I don't know if there's been any advances in treatment from 18 years ago when our cat was ill. A friend in Canada just lost a pet cat to the same thing. Some of these growths are just not treatable. :cry:
A quick Google reveals there may be links to something viral. Odd...I can remember back to when people thought cancer was contagious...then it was proved away...now here we are again.
I'm sorry I'm not any help. :( Whom of your beloveds has been diagnosed? ((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

So sorry you feel so alone. keep posting on here if it helps.

Sorry I can't help with knowledge on this one but hopefully others may be able to.

Hang in there x

I think that's what foster bun Marshall had. It started with one tumour that had a couple of smaller ones attached, but many more soon appeared. He was booked in to have the larger one removed before the smaller ones appeared, but it changed and was too firmly attached for the vet to operate safely. I think it spread to his lungs and brain and he was PTS.

I had a look at the thread I made about Marshall at the time, but I didn't mention fibrosarcoma in it.

Hope your bun will be OK xx

I am sorry but I have no advice or words of wisdom but didn't want to read and run.
I hope you get the answers and advice you need so you don't feel so alone any more.

Sure there must be a fifference between what parsley has and this but you may know better than me? As you know parsley is having vacinations to stop it spreading

My Rabbit Has Fibrosarcoma

I know I am responding to an old thread, but my poor rabbit got diagnose with it. Searching for fibrosarcoma brought me here.

My 7year old rabbit had gotten a lump on his paw. It was a lump that grew quickly in a matter of one week on the outside of his right front paw. It wasn’t there one day, in one week it was this unsightly red fleshy mass. We took him to a rabbit vet and she did a biopsy and x-ray, and it was cancerous.

We optioned for the mass and digit removal. According to the x-ray, the mass was attached to the digit. The digit was removed with surgery. Recovery time was two weeks. The wound healed. Our bunny was doing great.

Four months later, another quickly growing mass appeared in the same area on his right front paw. The vet did x-rays. She said it was the samething. Our option was leg amputation, which would mean that he would be around for maybe another 9-12 months. What life would that be for our little bunny?

It’s tough situation and we cried a lot and still are tearing up over the whole ordeal. It is so hard because he is so small and so sweet. We opted for hospice care. As much of the mass is being removed and medication to keep him comfortable. We’re going to enjoy much of our little sweet rabbit as we can, while we can.

Back