• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would your rabbits hypothetical babies look like?

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Sometimes I google pictures of rabbits just because it's a fun thing to do (you know it is, don't lie!).

So today my google phrase of choice was "harlequin rabbits", because I can't get enough of them little harlequin bunnies (even though there is one scoffing hay in the next room).

As I was squealing over the photos I came across this one and thought to myself, "that's what Smudge & Chewie's babies would look like!" (of course they can't actually have any babies lol)

So does anyone else search for rabbit photos for no reason, and imagine that they are your rabbits hypothetical babies, or am I just weird? :lol:

Random edit for harlequin fanatics who may also be lop fanatics: If you change the search term to "harlequin lop" it's even better!!

Last edited:
My charlie and alfie had 7 babies and none of them really look like mum or dad :?

i no alfie is agouti and no babies are agouti charlie is a black harliquin and theres no black harliquins will find some pics

I can't imagine what Finx and Tango's hypothetical babies would look like!

Finx is uppy eared and a sort of fawn mixed with grey (her parents were harlequins but they were also brother and sister, she doesn't have the colouring, just the shape). She has seriously fine silky fur.

Tango is lop eared and stocky, with ginger fur with the occasional black and white patch, his fur is much thicker and more plushy than silky.

I wish I'd seen Tango as a baby, he must have been adorable! :love:

like this
1286106061_125899138_1-Pictures-of--Orange-Netherland-Dwarf-babies-from-Import-Parents-1286106061.jpg

:love::love:

Hmm, that's an interesting question! Boris has 3 siblings, all still alive as far as I know, and none of them look anything alike, or even like their parents...the only thing they have in common is that they're all quite small and uppy-eared, but that's it really! Their parents were both cross-breeds so no clue what could be in there at all :lol:

If Boris and Bella had babies.....hmm. By looking at the two of them and only taking THEIR looks into account....I imagine about half of them to be around Boris' size, black and uppy-eared :) And then the rest lop/helicopter eared and bigger like mummy, and either grey or white like daddy. Aww, thinking about this is making me all emotional :oops: Either way I know they'd be beautiful babies :love:

OMG

cannot take the cute :shock:

EDIT: LOL I just tried to show my boyfriend those pics sazzy, and he just keeps saying "they aren't Smudges!!" to which I squeak "but they ARE! LOOOK! Baby Smudges!" :lol: (please note I do this EVERYTIME I see this particular harlequin colouring... I think I may be obsessed)

EDIT: It is interesting though that they look nothing like their parents LOL! I wonder if that's what type of colouring Smudge's parents had..

Last edited:
I've had baby rabbits before, a black rex male and a sable rex female.
Most of the babies looked like their dad, some were sable and a few REW.

As for Zakura...I wouldn't want to breed from her ever due to her being mixed breed and she would probably pass on a nasty temper (that and she's 8 years old and neutered:lol:) but if she did...
There's a slight chance she carries sable, so she could produce sable kits with either Kaze or Bob (children of my first rex-rabbits. They too are sable and black). Since one of Kaze and Sable's ancestors carried yellow they might also get siamese. I think. I only know the very basic of rabbit genetics:p
Zakura also carries blue, since her father was blue, which the brothers may have inherited from their dad (HIS father was also blue).
Aguti is also a very definite possibility since Zakura is one and its a dominant trait.

I would also like to add that harlequin is a very hard marking to get right, even when mating two perfectly marked harlequins you could still get kits that aren't up to the breed/marking standard. I loooove harlequins though:p I want a rex in that color.. :love:

TBH the thought fills me with horror:lol:
What with Ondine being a Flemish Giant girlie & Aubrey being a tiny Nethie & both of them neutered any way it just doesn't bear thinking about!!

I can't find pictures of what I think mine would look like - I think they'd be brown / black one up ear one down ear with dutchy markings :love:

Gypsy is a little lionhead girl and storm a big french lop so it's a bit scary :shock:

Both have been neutered but can you imagine giant naughty lionheads running around :shock:

Offspring will obviously depend on the colour genes they're carrying and whether they're dominant or recessive.

Very simplistically, if one parent is black and then you would usually expect some black within the litter from the 'D' gene. If one parent is black (DD or Dd) and one is blue (dd) then you'd expect to get DD black, Dd black and possibly dd blue from the litter depending on how the genes match up. If parents are carrying recessive colours then this can produce a wider range of possibly unexpected colours.

There's a similar pattern with the butterfly and agouti/yellow/banding genes.

Ah genetics.

In that first litter all or most of the harlequins are agouti based and the reason why none looked like mum and was harlequin instead was because dad didn't carry the gene to make magpie, so they defaulted to harlequin. He likely carries the extension gene (which I just read up makes the all orange rabbits) or else they may have been all agouti. The brown one I think is agouti or a pale one.

Mine would've been all Dutch, first pairing would've been all black.

Second pairing likely black and agouti, though not sure if harlequin would appear since Peter is one. I would depend on what she carried.

Wow I didn't know genetics for rabbits could be this interesting and complicated! I know a bit of horsie genetics but didn't think rabbits would be as complex hehe.

Yeah I've found rabbits pretty complicated, not got into horse genetics, but I know a bit on cats and rats.

Back