• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore eye:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh bless him, it does look a bit sore! I'd get him to the vets, I know that eye problems can be caused by tooth problems. They can give him a thorough check over to see what might be causing it :thumb:

I posted this reply in your other thread where you asked 'do I need to take him to a Vet'

Yes, you do as he may have some infection in it which would need treatment. Or it may be related to Dental problems, again this would need treatment. I would get an appointment for him ASAP as having a sore eye cant be very nice for him. Also, if there is active infection it can become a more serious issue if left untreated.

I know this one vet. She does dogs but I'm not sure if she does rabbits. She said she'd do our dog free because he's from her rescue. But if does not do bunnies I can't afford to take him to the vet:cry:. Thanks. Do you guys know what to do then? I don't know of a cheap vet or free. Except the one I told you about.

I know this one vet. She does dogs but I'm not sure if she does rabbits. She said she'd do our dog free because he's from her rescue. But if does not do bunnies I can't afford to take him to the vet:cry:. Thanks. Do you guys know what to do then? I don't know of a cheap vet or free. Except the one I told you about.

In the first instance I would speak with the Vet who treats your Dog. Not ideal, but better than no Vet at all.

Don't worry, you're doing your best, just keep trying and get him the first appointment you possibly can.
Maybe ask your vet how often she treats rabbits and see what advice she has :)

Why dont you sell some things to get money for the treatment? Game consoles and tvs sell well and get a good price. Also, I thought you could easily sell blood, sperm and eggs in America?

Or eat less and plain food for a couple of weeks and use the money you would have spent on that, on him. Or use your overdraft or credit card to pay the vet bills and then slowly pay it off.

Guess what? I found a home remedy! Milk in his eye. If that doesn't work I found a cheap enough vet(not the one I mentioned). Thanks for the love and support!

Don't worry, you're doing your best, just keep trying and get him the first appointment you possibly can.
Maybe ask your vet how often she treats rabbits and see what advice she has :)
Guess what? I found out she's not a vet! Some one said she was. Oh well......

Guess what? I found a home remedy! Milk in his eye. If that doesn't work I found a cheap enough vet(not the one I mentioned). Thanks for the love and support!

Please DO NOT put milk in his eye !!

You really do need to try to find a Vet. Can you contact an Animal Welfare Society

I am going to be direct in my approach here. You have taken on a Rabbit (and a dog???) for whom you are responsible. I am sure that you want to do your best for them and that now means you need to contact a qualified Veterinary Surgeon

I appreciate that a financial crisis can happen to any of us. But there can be no compromise as far as animal welfare goes.

Here is a link to a local Vet. Even if you cannot afford to see them they may be able to put you in touch with a Charitable Organisation who can help

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets_sdakota.html

You cannot treat the symptom until you know the problem - eye problems can be indicative of much larger ones going on inside - he MUST see a QUALIFIED vet. That vet must examine him thoroughly.

I'm not sure about how it is in America, but in the UK it is illegal not to take an animal to the vet when it is ill - it is our duty as owners to keep them in good health.

A vet consultation really isn't that expensive, you can find the money from somewhere, even if it means borrowing it. There may also be charitable organisations that provide cheap or free vet care to those that can't afford it, here we have the Blue Cross. If you cannot get vet treatment at all, then, for the sake of your pet, you could surrender him to a rescue that will take him to the vet and get him treatment.

You cannot treat the symptom until you know the problem - eye problems can be indicative of much larger ones going on inside - he MUST see a QUALIFIED vet. That vet must examine him thoroughly.

I'm not sure about how it is in America, but in the UK it is illegal not to take an animal to the vet when it is ill - it is our duty as owners to keep them in good health.

A vet consultation really isn't that expensive, you can find the money from somewhere, even if it means borrowing it. There may also be charitable organisations that provide cheap or free vet care to those that can't afford it, here we have the Blue Cross. If you cannot get vet treatment at all, then, for the sake of your pet, you could surrender him to a rescue that will take him to the vet and get him treatment.

Oh no! I'm NEVER giving him up! This vet IS qualified. I'm calling the office today to see if I can get an appointment.:)

You really do need to try to find a Vet. Can you contact an Animal Welfare Society

I am going to be direct in my approach here. You have taken on a Rabbit (and a dog???) for whom you are responsible. I am sure that you want to do your best for them and that now means you need to contact a qualified Veterinary Surgeon

I appreciate that a financial crisis can happen to any of us. But there can be no compromise as far as animal welfare goes.

Here is a link to a local Vet. Even if you cannot afford to see them they may be able to put you in touch with a Charitable Organisation who can help

Oh okay. Well I'm calling the vet today to see if I can get an appointment. Thanks!:)

Oh and my dog DOES get taken care of. This vet is a WONDERFUL vet so no need to worry any more.:)

The vet checked him out and said to continue putting milk in his eye every 6 hours. She said if it does not get better in a week she will give me antibiotics. I'll come and give a progress report every now and then.:D

The vet checked him out and said to continue putting milk in his eye every 6 hours. She said if it does not get better in a week she will give me antibiotics. I'll come and give a progress report every now and then.:D

So what is the problem with his eye? What was the diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back